Thai PM chief guest at Republic DayJanuary 26th, 2012 - 11:52 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 26 (IANS) Thai Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra Thursday became the third consecutive leader from South East Asia to be the chief guest at India’s Republic Day parade.
Shinawatra, who took over the reins of the Thai government in August 2011 at age 44, is in India on a two-day state visit beginning Wednesday at the invitation of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
This is her first visit to India as prime minister.
Indonesian President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono, a military veteran himself, and South Korean President Lee Myung-bak were chief guests at the 2011 and 2010 Republic Day parades.
This is only the second time in over five decades that a woman head of state or government is the chief guest. Queen Elizabeth II was in India in 1961 as chief guest.
A businesswoman-cum-politician, Shinawatra is Thailand’s first woman prime minister.
Shinawatra is accompanied by a high-level ministerial delegation, senior officials and a business delegation.
- India, Thailand review FTA talks, push trilateral highway - Aug 10, 2012
- Thai PM to be chief guest on India's Republic Day - Dec 02, 2011
- India, Indonesia sign eleven agreements - Jan 25, 2011
- Indonesian President arrives in Delhi on three-day state visit - Jan 24, 2011
- History revisited with Yudhoyono at R'Day parade - Jan 26, 2011
- India, Indonesia upbeat on $25 bn trade by 2015 - Jul 27, 2012
- India's 62nd Republic Day parade begins - Jan 26, 2011
- Thai PM chief guest at Republic Day parade - Jan 23, 2012
- Patil greets guests 'At Home', Thai PM says Namaste India - Jan 26, 2012
- Applause for Lavani dancers at parade - Jan 26, 2011
- Nation gets set to celebrate 61st Republic Day - Jan 25, 2011
- India, Indonesia to sign extradition treaty, other agreements - Jan 21, 2011
- South Korean President to be Republic Day 2010 chief guest - Jan 15, 2010
- UAE leaders greet India on Republic Day - Jan 26, 2011
- Democratic Myanmar gets world leaders - May 28, 2012
Tags: business delegation, businesswoman, chief guest, indonesian president, manmohan singh, military veteran, ministerial delegation, president lee, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, prime minister shinawatra, queen elizabeth, queen elizabeth ii, republic day, south east asia, south korean president, susilo bambang yudhoyono, thai government, thai prime minister, woman head