Thackeray gets bail, minutes after getting jail (Lead)October 22nd, 2008 - 6:31 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Oct 22 (IANS) A court in the Maharashtra town of Kalyan Wednesday sent Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) chief Raj Thackeray to jail till Nov 5 and gave him bail minutes later on a surety of Rs.15,000. Soon after, Thackeray also got bail in two other cases pending against him.As he was sent to judicial custody in the case filed by Kalyan police following Sunday’s attack by MNS supporters on non Maharashtrians appearing for the railway recruitment examinations, there were others waiting for him as well.
The Government Railway Police (GRP) as well as police in Dombivli and Thane were also waiting to move an application seeking his remand in cases related to attacks in their areas. While Thackeray was given bail in the Dombivli and GRP cases, the Thane one was pending.
There are several other cases against Thackeray relating to the violence Sunday.
Security personnel swarmed the court premises in Kalyan, about 70 km from this state capital, with police and paramilitary forces bringing Thackeray to the court.
He had spent Tuesday night at Dombivli’s Manpada police lock-up.
Since morning, a curfew had been imposed in different parts of Dombivli-Kalyan, which share a common municipal corporation.
On Tuesday, a court in Bandra had sent Thackeray to judicial custody in a case relating to attacks in Chetna College. He was released on bail minutes later. His custody was given by the court to Kalyan police.
Thackeray was arrested early Tuesday from Ratnagiri, about 250 km from here. The arrest led to mayhem in Mumbai with large areas shutting down and widespread violence.
- Kalyan court sends Thackeray to jail for 14 days - Oct 22, 2008
- Stone-pelting cases: Raj Thackeray gets bail from Aurangabad court - Feb 09, 2011
- Raj Thackeray gets bail - Feb 05, 2011
- Raj Thackeray arrested for violence, bailed out (Lead) - Jun 29, 2009
- Raj Thackeray gets bail till Oct. 24 in Kalyan case - Oct 22, 2008
- Raj Thackeray sent to 14-day judicial custody - Oct 22, 2008
- Thackeray returns home after bail, supporters jubilant (Roundup) - Oct 22, 2008
- Raj Thackeray remanded to judicial custody till July 13 - Jun 29, 2009
- Raj Thackeray gets bail on surety of rupees one lakh - Jun 29, 2009
- Raj Thackeray arrested for violence against north Indians - Jun 29, 2009
- North Indian attacks: Raj Thackeray to surrender before court today - Jun 29, 2009
- Violence rocks Kalyan, Thackeray to spend night in police lock-up (With 'Mumbai held to ransom after Raj Thackeray arrest') - Oct 21, 2008
- Raj Thackeray taken to Kalyan Railway Police Station - Jun 29, 2009
- Raj Thackeray surrenders before Mumbai's Kalyan court - Jun 29, 2009
- Raj Thackeray sent to 14 days judicial custody (Lead) - Oct 21, 2008