Textiles exports may fall short of targetDecember 23rd, 2008 - 8:39 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 23(IANS) Textiles exports may fall short of the target and even witness negative growth, the government said here Tuesday.“Recession in the US and European markets has slackened demand and exports, which grow at 11.5 percent in the first four months, may go negative,” Textiles Minister Shankar Sinh Vaghela told reporters.
“However, this is something that we cannot control, and like other sectors the slowdown will have negative impact on the textile sector also,” he added. “On the positive side, our cotton production has increased considerably and it is estimated that it will reach a record level of 32.20 million bales this fiscal.”
Vaghela said the finance department has been approached for a stimulus package for the textiles industry. “This includes loan waiver of Rs.26 billion for handloom cooperatives and concessional interest at the rate of 7 percent.”
Additionally, the minimum support price of cotton has been increased by record 39 percent to 45 percent during the cotton season of 2008-09, the minister added.
“We have proposed 40 textile parks, of which four are inaugurated and eight will be inaugurated by March next year,” Vaghela said.
However, the minister added that investors were showing “some reluctance”, which could delay execution of the plans.
“We are expecting drop in production by 2-3 percent because of a fall in demand. And the worst-hit section is handicraft section,” J.N. Singh, textiles joint secretary, said on the sidelines of the same conference.
- Corporates told to give handlooms, handicraft products as gift items - Aug 13, 2012
- Event to promote handicraft, handloom sector - Aug 17, 2012
- Government announces sops; eyes 20 percent exports growth - Jun 05, 2012
- Suspend cotton exports, cap yarn exports: Karunanidi - Dec 02, 2010
- Orissa handloom weavers demand ban on cotton exports - Nov 24, 2010
- Mukherjee assures support to growth of textiles industry - Feb 02, 2011
- Government to lift ban on cotton exports - Mar 11, 2012
- Pawar complains to PM on cotton, sugar exports (Lead) - Apr 12, 2012
- Pawar complains to PM on cotton, sugar exports - Apr 12, 2012
- Handicrafts exports recorded a growth of 18 percent: Maran - Feb 04, 2011
- Cotton farmers demand lifting ban on exports - May 02, 2011
- Govt announces Rs.1,050 crore sops for exporters - Aug 23, 2010
- Govt announces Rs.1,050 crore sops for exporters (Lead) - Aug 23, 2010
- 'India can be world leader in handmade textiles' - Jan 05, 2012
- India bans cotton export fearing lower stocks at home - Mar 05, 2012