Tests confirm Navi Mumbai woman was raped by doctor (Lead)October 18th, 2010 - 9:27 pm ICT by IANS
Vashi (Navi Mumbai), Oct 18 (IANS) Medical tests conducted on a woman who was allegedly raped by a doctor in a private hospital in Navi Mumbai have confirmed the crime, police said here Monday.
The victim was admitted to Lotus Hospital in Vashi township late Saturday, after she fainted during the Navratri and Durga Puja festivities at a nearby venue. Dr Vishal Vanne, resident medical officer (RMO), allegedly raped her in the intensive care unit (ICU) of the hospital.
“We have got the custody of Vanne till Oct 25. We will now investigate the matter further,” said investigation officer Rajkumar Chapekar, after the accused was arrested late Sunday.
Vanne had earlier confessed his crime after he was arrested, the Navi Mumbai police said.
Deputy Commissioner of Police Ashok Dhude told reporters that Vanne has been charged with penal provisions related to a patient’s rape in hospital.
The incident occurred when the victim was admitted to Lotus Hospital after she fainted during the Navratri and Durga Puja festivities at a nearby venue Saturday.
“The rape seemed to have taken place in the wee hours of Sunday. The victim had then narrated the incident to her husband who later filed a police complaint,” Chapekar said.
According to the first information report, another patient was also present in the ward, but was fast asleep, when Vanne allegedly raped the victim.
The hospital Monday shut down its gates to avoid attacks by protesters. The hospital authorities were not available for comment despite repeated attempts.
- Navi Mumbai woman was raped by doctor, medical tests confirm - Oct 18, 2010
- Woman drugged, raped by friend - Oct 06, 2011
- 100 pandals, galaxy of stars - Mumbai ready for Durga Puja - Sep 30, 2011
- Another rape in Bengal, victim deaf and mute - Feb 29, 2012
- Another rape in Bengal, victim deaf and mute (Lead) - Feb 29, 2012
- Kolkata convicts to perform at Mumbai Durga Puja - Oct 02, 2011
- Railway police constable dies in freak accident - Jan 04, 2012
- Durga Puja celebrations begin in West Bengal - Oct 13, 2010
- Mumbai senior cop suspended for raping colleague - Apr 18, 2012
- Widow 'gang-raped' by train robbers in Bengal - Feb 26, 2012
- Odisha gang rape: Activists demand women panel chief's sacking - Feb 19, 2012
- Doctors working hard to treat Pune blast victims - Feb 14, 2010
- No Durga Puja, Shiv Sena Dassehra rally at Shivaji Park? - Sep 27, 2010
- Mahanavami being celebrated across the country - Sep 27, 2009
- Tripura, Assam on alert during Durga Puja - Oct 02, 2011
Tags: ashok, commissioner of police, crime police, deputy commissioner, durga puja, festivities, hospital authorities, information report, intensive care unit, medical tests, mumbai police, navratri, penal provisions, police complaint, private hospital, protesters, resident medical officer, vanne, vishal, wee hours