Terrorist remanded to Mumbai Police custody till Dec 24 (Lead)December 11th, 2008 - 4:54 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Dec 11 (IANS) Mohammed Ajmal Amir alias Kasab, the lone terrorist captured after the Nov 26 attacks of Mumbai, was remanded to police custody till Dec 24 by a court here Thursday.Magistrate N. Shreematle and public prosecutor Eknath Dhumale were present during the brief proceedings conducted inside the Mumbai Police Crime Branch lock-up, where Amir has been lodged under high security.
Advocate Dinesh Mota, who was assigned by the Maharashtra Legal Aid Cell to represent Amir, told waiting mediapersons that he had “flatly refused” to argue the case on behalf of the captured terrorist.
Last week, Mumbai advocates had announced that none of them would fight Amir’s case in the court.
The lock-up is located within the Mumbai Police headquarters, barely a kilometre away from the Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus (CST), one of the 13 locations where Amir and his nine associates struck terror on the night of Nov 26.
Earlier, police contemplated presenting Amir before the magistrate court for seeking extension of his remand.
However, the top police brass dropped the plan on account of security reasons and the media publicity it would attract, Joint Police Commissioner (Crime) Rakesh Maria told IANS.
Amir’s associates - Bada Abdul Rehaman, Abu Ali, Abu Soheb, Umar, Abdul Rehaman Chhota, Fahad Ullah, Ismail Khan, Nasir alias Abu Umer and Babar Imaran alias Abu Akasha - were killed at different locations during the 60-hour commando operation against them.
More than 170 people, including 26 foreign nationals, were killed in the terror attacks.
- Captured Mumbai terrorist not to be presented in court - Dec 11, 2008
- Police custody of captured Mumbai terrorist extended - Dec 24, 2008
- Bodies of nine 26/11 terrorists buried in January (Second Lead) - Apr 06, 2010
- Captured terrorist to be taken to Mumbai court Thursday - Dec 10, 2008
- All terrorists in Mumbai attack identified - Dec 09, 2008
- Ten terrorists who held Mumbai to ransom - Aug 29, 2012
- No Urdu copies of chargesheet for Mumbai terror accused - Mar 09, 2009
- No Urdu copies of chargesheet to 26/11 accused, hearing on March 23 (Lead) - Mar 09, 2009
- First charges filed in 26/11 Mumbai attacks (Second Lead) - Feb 25, 2009
- Anna's cartoonist supporter sent to police custody - Sep 09, 2012
- Bring terror suspect Hamza to Mumbai: Court (Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- Court declines to give Hamza custody to Mumbai police (lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Jundal sent to police custody in Nashik attack plot - Sep 11, 2012
- Court no to Mumbai Police custody of Hamza - Jun 27, 2012
- Protesting widows, kin of 26/11 victims detained - Nov 26, 2011