Terrorist cell busted in Yemen had links with IsraelOctober 8th, 2008 - 2:30 pm ICT by IANS
Dubai, Oct 8 (IANS) A terrorist cell busted in Yemen last month after a suicide attack on the US embassy there had links with an Israeli intelligence agency, the state-run Saba news agency reported.The report, quoting an unnamed source, said investigations and data retrieved from a computer seized from the cell, showed there was correspondence between the Islamic Jihad group’s deputy leader Bassam Abdullah Fadhel Al-Haidari and an Israeli intelligence agency.
The Islamic Jihad, reported to have links with the Al Qaeda, had claimed responsibility for the attack on the US embassy in Sana’a Sep 17, which had claimed 18 lives, including that of an Indian woman.
Saba quoted the source as saying that the correspondence between the two sides included a request from the Israeli side to implement terrorist attacks inside Yemen.
Yemen’s President Ali Abdullah Saleh Monday said a terrorist group operating in the name of Islam had been maintaining links with Israel.
The six-member cell was led by Emad Ali Saeed Al-Rwoni, also known as Abu Al-Gaith Al-Miqdad Al-Yamani.
Following the attack on the US mission, it had reportedly sent several threatening letters targeting Arab and foreign embassies in Yemen including those of Britain, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates (UAE).
The Sep 17 incident was the deadliest attack against US interests in Yemen since the October 2000 bombing of the warship ‘USS Cole’ in the southern Yemen port of Aden, which left 17 sailors dead and 32 wounded.
And then March 18 this year, a mortar was fired at the US embassy in which three police officers and four girls in a neighbouring school were wounded.
A similar attack April 6 targeted a residential compound housing US and Western citizens. No one was hurt in that incident.
Al Qaeda had claimed responsibility for both attacks.
After the Sep 11, 2001, attacks on US cities, Yemen had been an ally of the US-led war on terror.
- Yemeni court issues death sentence in spying case - Mar 23, 2009
- Bin Laden appoints new commander to spearhead al Qaeda's operations against West - Nov 13, 2010
- Iran rejects Israeli accusations over Bulgaria blast - Jul 19, 2012
- Senior Al Qaeda commander killed in Yemen - Sep 11, 2012
- Yemeni president apologises to US over embassy attack - Sep 14, 2012
- Five Al Qaeda terrorists escape from Yemen jail - Jun 27, 2012
- Six held in Yemen over fake claim of US embassy attack - Sep 22, 2008
- Five Palestinians killed in Israeli airstrike - Oct 30, 2011
- After Osama's elimination, FBI updates its most wanted list - May 02, 2011
- Steal from enemy to fund terror: Al Qaeda - Jan 20, 2011
- Al Qaeda leaders killed in Yemen air strike - May 07, 2012
- Yemen puts $100,000 reward for eight Al Qaida men - Oct 17, 2010
- Two dead in clashes between Iraqi and Kurdish forces in northern Iraq - Apr 25, 2011
- Uzbek terror outfit supporter nabbed in US - Mar 16, 2012
- US concerned about attacks in Israel - Mar 11, 2012