Terror suspect arrested in KolkataJuly 18th, 2012 - 12:42 am ICT by IANS
Kolkata, July 17 (IANS) A member of the banned Students Islamic Movement of India (SIMI) having close links with the terrorist group Indian Mujahideen (IM) and suspected to be involved in the 2008 Surat bomb planting case, has been arrested here, police said Tuesday.
“Haroon Rashid, a SIMI member having close links with the IM and the Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT), was arrested from the city today (Tuesday). He has been active in West Bengal for the past few years in recruiting terrorists,” said Joint Commissioner, special task force (STF) Rajeev Mishra.
He was arrested by the STF from Garden Reach road in the city.
Rashid, a close aide of Abu Faisal Khan, another SIMI operative who was arrested earlier in 2011 at Madhya Pradesh, is suspected to be involved in the Surat bomb planting case in 2008.
He will be produced before a court Wednesday.
- Many links between Ahmedabad, Pune blasts - Feb 17, 2010
- Indian Mujahideen targeting Darbhanga for recruits? - Apr 03, 2012
- Mumbai cops in Ahmedabad to quiz IM operative - Jul 16, 2011
- 26/11 Indian mastermind held, Mumbai police seek custody (Roundup) (With Images) - Jun 25, 2012
- Jundal was planning another 26/11-type strike: Investigators - Jul 06, 2012
- Key suspect in Mumbai terror attack held (Second Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- Indian Mujahideen suspected behind Mumbai blasts - Jul 14, 2011
- Tribunal upholds ban on SIMI - Aug 01, 2012
- Key accused in 13/7 Mumbai blasts trained under Osama: ATS (Lead, superseding earlier story) - Feb 07, 2012
- Spanish police arrest Pakistanis 'linked to 26/11 Mumbai attacks' - Dec 01, 2010
- Key accused in 13/7 Mumbai blasts trained under Osama: ATS - Feb 07, 2012
- Terrorist shot dead in Aurangabad - Mar 26, 2012
- Pune was 'important base' of Indian Mujahideen - Feb 15, 2010
- Pune-Mumbai now linked by terror as well - Sep 16, 2010
- Pakistan media plays down Hamza arrest - Jun 26, 2012
Tags: bomb, faisal khan, garden reach, haroon rashid, India, islamic movement, july 17, lashkar e taiba, mishra, mujahideen, special task force, stf, surat, terror, terrorist group, terrorists, west bengal