Terror grips NMDC miners a day after Maoist attackMay 15th, 2012 - 12:08 am ICT by IANS
Raipur, May 14 (IANS) Dozens of miners at the public sector National Mining Development Corp (NMDC) Ltd. in Chhattisgarh skipped work Monday as more explosives were found at the mining site in Dantewada where rebels had killed six paramilitary troopers and a civilian Sunday night.
Officials here at police headquarters said that a police team found live bombs Monday near the attack site at Kirandul area of the district.
Speculation was rife that Maoists had planned more deadly strikes at the facilities of the NMDC that has several iron ore mines at the Kirandul and its adjoining Bacheli areas that form a vast Bailadila hills which has roughly one-fifth of India’s total known iron ore reserves.
Reports coming in from Kirandul, some 420 km south from Raipur, said that dozens of miners employed by the NMDC Ltd, skipped work in morning shift while work only returned to normalcy in afternoon and evening shift when Chhattisgarh Police and the Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) personnel intensified patrolling.
Six CISF troopers were killed in the attack.
- Maoists kill six CISF troopers, driver in Chhattisgarh (Lead) - May 14, 2012
- Maoists kill two CISF men at Chhattisgarh mining site - Nov 16, 2011
- Day after blast, terror stalks Chhattisgarh miners - Jun 27, 2011
- Chhattisgarh legislator threatens to stop NMDC mining - Jan 29, 2012
- Strike hits mining in Chhattisgarh - Feb 28, 2012
- Railways suffer loss in Chhattisgarh as protest continues - Jan 20, 2012
- Maoists open fire at mining facility in Chhattisgarh - Jul 13, 2010
- NMDC resumes iron shipment from Chhattisgarh - Jan 23, 2012
- Anti-railway Bastar protests halt iron ore shipments - Jan 18, 2012
- NMDC to open new iron ore mine in Chhattisgarh - Jul 29, 2011
- Maoists' shutdown hits NMDC iron ore transportation - Jul 08, 2011
- Anti-railway protest halts iron ore shipments (Lead) - Jan 19, 2012
- Iron ore transportation hit due to Maoists: NDMC - Aug 03, 2010
- Maoist shutdown hits iron ore shipment in Chhattisgarh - May 22, 2011
- Maoists set six iron ore laden trucks on fire - Aug 14, 2010
Tags: central industrial security, central industrial security force cisf, evening shift, explosives, iron ore mines, maoist, maoists, miners, mining development, morning shift, national mining, nmdc, normalcy, ore reserves, police headquarters, police team, public sector, rebels, security force, speculation