Terror attack foiled in MoscowJuly 19th, 2011 - 5:04 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, July 19 (IANS) A major terror attack on Moscow was foiled by the country’s top security agency, officials said.
Alexander Bortnikov, director of the federal security service or the Federal’naya Sluzhba Bezopasnosti (FSB), reported to President Dmitry Medvedev that they have detained four men who came to Moscow from the North Caucasus region for an attack on the city’s transportation system, Xinhua reported.
He did not disclose how the suspects were found and arrested, but said a self-made 10-kg bomb, maps and weapons were seized from them.
All the detained men have confessed to the crime, he said.
Over the past six months, a total of 169 terror-linked crimes have been committed in Russia, which was 58 percent less than last year, officials said.
Most of the crimes took place in the North Caucasus republic of Dagestan.
The FSB prevented another 52 terror attacks in the first half of 2011, seizing 280 bombs and over 500 kg explosives. Some 400 terrorists were arrested and 250 militants were killed in these operations.
The director said that in these operations, FSB lost 95 officers and 200 were wounded.
In January, suicide bombers from the North Caucasus region detonated a bomb in Moscow’s Domodedovo international airport, killing 37 people. Last year, two women bombers from the same region set off twin blasts in the Moscow metro, killing 40 people.
- Suspected bomber behind Moscow airport blast identified - Feb 03, 2011
- Female terrorist opened bag triggering Moscow airport blast (Roundup) - Jan 25, 2011
- Russian terror crimes down by 50 percent - Feb 15, 2012
- Four militants killed in Russia's North Caucasus - Apr 19, 2011
- Two terrorists involved in Moscow airport blast - Jan 25, 2011
- 19 tonnes of gloves for Russian agency stolen - Jan 31, 2012
- Moscow airport bombers were part of suicide squad trained in Pakistan: Report - Jan 26, 2011
- Militants attack government buildings in Russia - Feb 26, 2011
- Putin says Chechens not behind deadly Moscow airport bombing - Jan 27, 2011
- Three militants killed in Dagestan - Jun 11, 2011
- Car blast kills four in Russia - Jan 27, 2011
- Car bomb kills four in Russia - Sep 28, 2011
- Two suicide bombings kill 12 in Russia (Second lead) - Mar 31, 2010
- Teenaged terrorist jailed in Russia - Feb 08, 2012
- Russian bombers' helper jailed - May 30, 2012
Tags: agency officials, dmitry medvedev, domodedovo international airport, explosives, federal security service, four men, fsb, militants, moscow metro, naya, north caucasus region, security agency, suicide bombers, terror attack, terror attacks, top security, transportation system, twin blasts, two women, xinhua