Terror accused hangs himself in Ghaziabad jailJune 20th, 2009 - 8:50 pm ICT by IANS
Ghaziabad, June 20 (IANS) A man suspected of involvement in the Frontier Mail blast in 1997 committed suicide by hanging himself in his prison cell in Ghaziabad, police said Saturday.
The death occurred Friday in the Dasna jail in Ghaziabad where Shakeel was lodged after he was convicted by a Delhi court to 10 years’ imprisonment in another terror related case in 1998. He was transferred to the Dasna jail in 2006 and the Frontier Mail blast case was pending against him, police said.
Shakeel was a resident of Pilkuwa in Ghaziabad district and according to family sources was under great stress as he felt that the Frontier Mail blast case was taking too long.
“On Friday, he hung himself in his cell,” a police officer said.
“When we came to know about the incident, we took him to the government hospital where doctors declared him dead. Warden Taj Pal Yadav has been suspended,” the police officer said.
Two people were killed and 22 injured in the Frontier Mail blast in Ghaziabad in 1997.
- Suspected terrorist's body to be exhumed for second autopsy - Jun 25, 2009
- Dasna jail has seen 93 inmates dying since 1997 - Oct 20, 2009
- Tihar undertrial alleges assault, sexual abuse - Jun 17, 2012
- Two constables arrested after prisoners escape - Nov 26, 2011
- Ex-jail chief booked for prisoner's murder - Oct 21, 2010
- Probe ordered against Punjab jail official - May 07, 2012
- Beef up security for jailed Gujarat cop, orders Court - Sep 01, 2010
- Ex-cop talks of bid to doctor Aarushi's autopsy report - Aug 30, 2012
- Death warrant sends Koli in search of mercy - May 09, 2011
- Nupur Talwar in Dasna jail after bail plea rejected - Apr 30, 2012
- Nine prisoners escape in Meerut jail break - Jul 20, 2010
- Betrayed in love, undertrial hangs himself in jail - Apr 27, 2012
- Reward announced for capture of escaped convict - Jun 20, 2011
- Three get life term for former JNU student leader's murder - Mar 23, 2012
- Ex-MP Shahabuddin's aide arrested - Oct 09, 2011