Tension in Orissa’s Kandhamal area after fresh clashesSeptember 24th, 2008 - 1:46 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Sep 24 (IANS) Tension reigned in Orissa’s volatile Kandhamal district with curfew imposed in one town and additional forces unable to reach after mobs blocked roads Wednesday, a day after one person was killed and 25 injured in police firing. On Tuesday, more than 1,000 people, mostly women, surrounded a police station in Raikia town, about 280 km from here, demanding the release of two people who had been arrested the previous day on charges of rioting.
The mob pelted stones forcing police and troopers of the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) to hit people with batons and then open fire, a police official said. One person was killed and 25 people, including many policemen, were injured.
The ripples continued till Wednesday as authorities tried to send more forces to the area but could not.
“After the incident, mobs have blocked roads at several places by placing huge wooden logs. This has made it impossible for the force to reach the areas,” said a district police control room official.
Kandhamal district has been witnessing communal violence since Aug 23 when Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) leader Swami Laxmananda Saraswati and four others were shot dead by unidentified gunmen at his Jalespata Ashram.
Thousands of people have been rendered homeless since, many churches attacked and at least 25 people, mostly Christians, killed.
Prohibitory orders are still in force in the district and night curfew is imposed in most towns.
- Mob burns houses, clashes with police in Orissa - Sep 25, 2008
- Orissa seeks more forces to curb Kandhamal violence - Sep 25, 2008
- Orissa deploys more forces after fresh violence in Kandhamal - Sep 26, 2008
- Man killed in fresh violence in Orissa's Kandhamal (Lead) - Sep 26, 2008
- Several injured in fresh violence in Orissa - Sep 30, 2008
- Kandhamal riots: Jail term for 13 - May 18, 2011
- 14 get jail terms for Kandhamal riots - Nov 20, 2010
- Day curfew re-imposed in Kandhmal - Oct 01, 2008
- Orissa court seeks report on Hindu leader's murder - Apr 20, 2011
- Security beefed up at Kandhamal ashram after threats - Aug 21, 2010
- BJP lawmaker gets jail for murder in Kandhamal riots - Sep 09, 2010
- Christmas celebrations pass off peacefully in Orissa - Dec 25, 2010
- 8 get three-year jail in Kandhamal riots case - Sep 25, 2010
- 24-hour curfew re-imposed in Orissa district after fresh violence - Oct 01, 2008
- Suspected Maoists blow up ambulance, three dead - Nov 28, 2010