Tension in Orissa town after policeman beaten upFebruary 14th, 2010 - 3:21 am ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Feb 14 (IANS) Prohibitory orders have been clamped in Orissa’s Paradip port town after a policeman was beaten up and his motorbike was set afire Saturday by a mob protesting the death of a man who was allegedly hit by a police vehicle, police said.
The angry mob went out of control near Atharbanki chawk of Paradip following the death of school teacher named Satyapriya Pradhan of local Vivekananda Sikshyashram,
“My brother was killed after being hit by a police van,” his brother Srinibas Pradhan said,
The protesters assaulted local policemen who had gone to the spot to pacify the aggrieved people. An assistant sub inspector was badly injured by the mob.
Additional policemen were called to the spot to control the angry mob, which was pelting stones at policemen. Later police conducted a baton charge to disperse the crowd.
“We have deployed additional forces on the spot. We have also clamped Section 144 (of the Criminal Procedure Code) in this area,” senior police official Balakrishna Sahu said.
- Cop burnt alive by mob in Rajasthan - Mar 18, 2011
- Violence in Uttar Pradesh after youth's death - Feb 22, 2011
- Curfew imposed in Andhra town - Mar 30, 2012
- Violence in Anantnag after youth run over by army vehicle (Lead) - Mar 10, 2012
- Andhra town tense after communal violence (Lead) - Mar 30, 2012
- One killed, 41 injured in Tripura clash - Jul 11, 2011
- Three dead as police fire on mob in Tamil Nadu - Sep 11, 2011
- Protesters in UP torch vehicles, attack police - Jul 16, 2012
- Four policemen injured in mob attack - Apr 12, 2011
- Mob injures three cops in Uttar Pradesh - Jan 25, 2011
- Lone surviving cop of Maoist attack seeks revenge - Jun 06, 2011
- Maoists call for shutdown, burn buses in south Orissa - Dec 28, 2009
- Lucknow anti-encroachment drive protest turns violent - May 07, 2011
- Violence erupts after truck runs over a child in Delhi (Lead) - Feb 18, 2011
- Driver set ablaze after minor's death - Aug 17, 2011
Tags: angry mob, brother, chawk, criminal procedure code, crowd, death of a man, feb 14, motorbike, orissa, paradip port, police official, police van, police vehicle, policeman, policemen, protesters, school teacher, tension, vivekananda