Tension in Meerut over triple murderMay 29th, 2008 - 8:26 pm ICT by admin
Meerut, May 29 (IANS) Meerut city in Uttar Pradesh observed a shutdown Thursday to protest a gruesome triple murder blamed on a family linked to the ruling Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) a week ago. According to Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) legislator Satya Prakash Agarwal, the shutdown was called by several political parties because of the revulsion over the way the young men were murdered.
The prime accused, Hazi Izlal, son of Hazi Iqbal, has reportedly confessed to the police that he killed the victims, who had earlier asked him not to harass a girl, at his house May 22.
Izlal allegedly beheaded them, gouged out their eyes and shot them in the head. Their bodies were thrown into the Hindon river at Baleni in Baghpat district. The bodies were found the next day.
Those killed were Punit Giri, a nephew of Delhi Police inspector Girish Giri, Sunil Dhaka, a brother of Delhi Police constable Anil Dhaka, and Sudhir Ujjwal, their friend.
Raj Kumar Sangwan, a Rashtriya Lok Dal (RLD) leader, explained what happened: “Izlal’s mother Zubeda had contested the mayoral election on BSP ticket. But she lost to Madhu Gurjar.
“Izlal was an aspirant for BSP ticket for the coming assembly elections. He was infatuated by the daughter of a retired army officer.
“The boys had requested Izlal not to harass her. This angered him. He decided to teach them a lesson.”
Sangwan said that lawyers in Baghpat thrashed Izlal when he was produced in the court.
Senior Superintendent Police Alok Singh said: “We have arrested Izlal and recovered a revolver, two mobile phones and a car from his possession. We are applying the National Security Act and Gangster Act on him.”
Thursday’s shutdown was called by the BJP, RLD, Samajwadi Party and the Congress as well as student groups.
- Congress's Muslim card, Ajit Singh's Jat clout on test in Tuesday's poll (Lead) - Feb 27, 2012
- Meerut realtor killed - Jun 17, 2011
- Politicians back shutdown to protest former MP's murder - Nov 18, 2010
- Brisk polling in round six of UP polls (Lead) - Feb 28, 2012
- Steady, brisk polling in round 6 of UP polls (Second Lead) - Feb 28, 2012
- 60 percent turnout in incident-free 6th round of UP poll (Roundup) - Feb 28, 2012
- UPA plays up the Ajit-Rahul combo in Meerut - Feb 02, 2012
- High voter turnout in sixth phase too (Evening Lead) - Feb 28, 2012
- Tainted, billionaire candidates on rise in seventh phase - Feb 24, 2012
- Rahul, Ajit Singh's joint rally at Meerut Thursday - Feb 01, 2012
- Rahul-Ajit combo try to whip up magic in Meerut (Lead) - Feb 02, 2012
- UP polls: 60 percent turnout in incident-free 6th round (Intro Roundup) - Feb 28, 2012
- Two Uttar Pradesh cops held for double murder - Jul 08, 2010
- On Delhi's edge, BSP holds sway (Lead) - Mar 06, 2012
- Uttar Pradesh cane growers stop trains, damage rail tracks (Lead) - Nov 09, 2009