Tension in Fatehpur Sikri after ‘mazar’ damagedSeptember 1st, 2008 - 12:06 pm ICT by IANS
Agra, Sep 1 (IANS) Damage to the 700-year-old Hazrat Shah ki Bibi shrine near Fatehpur Sikri, the 16th century capital of Mughal emperor Akbar, saw irate residents block the Agra-Jaipur highway for several hours with tempers cooling down after a red-faced National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) agreed to rebuild it. The shrine was damaged Sunday by NHAI workers who were widening the eight channel highway connecting the city of the Taj to the Rajasthan capital Jaipur.
Irate residents of Fatehpur Sikri blocked traffic on both side of the highway for several hours. Foreign tourists to the famed Mughal capital were amongst those held up.
The blockade was lifted late Sunday. District officials have filed a case of inciting religious hatred and insulting religious faith against an NHAI security officer, who had an altercation with some people in the crowd, and an engineer.
Parliamentarian from the area Raj Babbar also got into the act and contacted Lucknow. District authorities then decided to file a case against the NHAI officials. The NHAI has now agreed to rebuild the mazar at the site, officials said.
- Karauli Mela, Braj region's very own Kumbh - Mar 21, 2012
- Pilgrims' progress begins to Rajasthan's Kumbh Mela - Apr 11, 2011
- Four of a family killed near Agra - May 24, 2011
- Katrina visits Sheikh Chisti's shrine - Aug 11, 2012
- Anger, concern after dog bites at Fatehpuri Sikri (Lead) - Mar 24, 2011
- Katrina visits Chisti shrine in Fatehpur Sikri - Sep 05, 2011
- Taj city lashed by heavy showers - Sep 10, 2012
- Lucky escape for 25 kids in school bus accident (Lead) - Feb 11, 2012
- Sarkozy, Bruni to visit Agra - Dec 04, 2010
- Emperor Akbar's spirt looks for recognition in Agra - Oct 16, 2011
- Ghaziabad residents give suggestions on highways - Aug 05, 2012
- Sarkozy, Bruni spend an hour at Fatehpur Sikri (Lead) - Dec 05, 2010
- To woo tourists, UP plans helium balloon rides, rope ways - Jun 13, 2012
- Mad dog bites foreign tourists at Fatehpur Sikri - Mar 24, 2011
- Car breakdown or accident on toll highway? Seek free help - Jul 19, 2010