Tension grips POSCO site after villagers clashMay 15th, 2008 - 5:19 pm ICT by admin
Jagatsinghpur (Orissa), May 15 (IANS) Tension gripped the project-site of the South Korean steel major Posco in Orissa after supporters and opponents of the mega-project clashed, an official said Thursday. The trouble broke out Wednesday at Gobindpur village in Jagatsinghpur district, some 120 km from here. Villagers are divided over their support to the project, which is billed as the largest foreign direct investment in India.
The villagers clashed after a group of residents, claiming to be supporters, hurled a bomb at a meeting of project opponents in the village, Prasant Paikray, spokesperson of the Posco Pratirodh Sangram Samiti (PPSS) that has been spearheading the campaign against the proposed plant, told IANS.
At least three people were injured, he said.
But, Pradeep Kapoor, inspector general of police (law and order), said one person was injured in the clash.
“We have deployed at least 100 armed policemen Thursday in the area after the clash apprehending more trouble,” he said.
Posco, the world’s fourth largest steel maker, signed a deal with the state government June 2005 to build the plant near Paradip port by 2016.
However, over 20,000 people from around 15 nearby villages have been agitating against the project, saying that it would take away their homes and livelihood. The company says the plant would affect only 500 families but would create thousands of jobs.
Posco needs 4,004 acres of land, out of which 438 acres are in private hands. The state government said it had sought clearance from the central government so that it can hand over to the firm 2,900 acres that belong to the forest department.
The company is awaiting clearance before it can use this land. It is also waiting to get a prospecting licence for the Khandadhar mines in the state that will provide raw material to the plant.
- Anti-Posco group slams Ramesh - Jun 12, 2011
- Land acquisition for Posco to resume despite protest - May 08, 2011
- Posco's $12 bn Orissa project gets conditional nod (Second Lead) - Jan 31, 2011
- Arrest of anti-Posco leader triggers tension - Nov 27, 2011
- Political parties to support anti-POSCO movement - Mar 01, 2011
- Two held for attacking Orissa officials - Jun 02, 2010
- Thousands of Orissa villagers rally against Posco nod - Feb 01, 2011
- Anti-displacement group protests nod to POSCO - Jan 31, 2011
- Orissa begins land acquisition for POSCO amid opposition (Lead) - Jul 28, 2010
- Villagers intensify protest against POSCO - Apr 01, 2010
- Orissa to resume work at Posco site - Jul 01, 2011
- Anti-Posco agitators held, released - Jun 03, 2011
- Anti-POSCO leader held - Nov 26, 2011
- barricades are up again at Posco site - Feb 03, 2011
- Posco land takeover to resume Saturday, protest intensifies (Lead) - Jun 17, 2011