Tens of thousands offer Eid prayers in KashmirOctober 1st, 2008 - 3:34 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, Oct 1 (IANS) Eid-ul-Fitr was celebrated with religious fervour and gaiety throughout the Kashmir valley Wednesday.Tens of thousands of Muslims offered prayers in Eidgahs, special prayer grounds for the occasion, across the valley.
The largest Eid prayer congregation was held at the Eidgah in the old city area of Jammu and Kashmir’s summer capital Srinagar, where more than 100,000 devotees assembled to offer prayers.
Eid congregational prayers were also offered at Hazratbal shrine in the city and at all other major and minor towns of the valley.
“Eid prayers passed off peacefully throughout the valley and no untoward incident has been reported from anywhere,” a police officer said.
After offering Eid prayers at the Polo grounds in the city, thousands of locals raised pro-freedom slogans, but dispersed peacefully.
Police and civil administration had made special security arrangements at various places.
Children wearing new clothes and showing off Eidi (money elders give to the young as a token of love on Eid) could be seen on the streets, adding colour and fervour to the solemnity of the occasion.
Srinagar was witness to loud explosions of a peaceful kind as children freely burst firecrackers with paramilitary troopers smiling at them and even occasionally helping them light the explosives.
Special food was cooked in Muslim homes to celebrate the festival.
“I bought a fat goose and some mutton for the family. I shall be joining my parents for lunch after a month’s break today,” said Aijaz Hussain, a journalist.
- Stray incident apart, Eid prayers offered peacefully in Kashmir - Aug 20, 2012
- Thousands offer Eid prayers in Kashmir peacefully - Aug 31, 2011
- Eid celebrated with prayers for peace, feasting (Roundup) - Aug 20, 2012
- Peaceful Eid prayers held across Kashmir - Nov 07, 2011
- Thousands offer Eid prayers amid sporadic violence in Kashmir - Nov 17, 2010
- Protests erupt in Srinagar after Eid prayers - Sep 11, 2010
- Eid celebrated in Karnataka amid tight security - Aug 20, 2012
- Prayers for peace as Andhra celebrates Eid - Aug 20, 2012
- Hindus join Muslims in celebrating Eid in Odisha - Aug 20, 2012
- Eid celebrated in Meghalaya - Aug 31, 2011
- Eid-ul-Fitr celebrated with fervour in Lucknow - Aug 31, 2011
- India celebrates Eid -- from Kashmir to down south (Roundup) - Aug 31, 2011
- Making sacrifices, feeding poor, Indian Muslims mark Eid-ul-Azha (Roundup) - Nov 17, 2010
- Assam celebrates Eid with fervour - Aug 31, 2011
- Eid celebrated with traditional fervour in Uttar Pradesh - Aug 20, 2012