Tendulkar inspired Umesh to work on a new delivery (Lead)March 27th, 2012 - 9:20 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 27 (IANS) Delhi Daredevils’ young fast bowler Umesh Yadav feels that variation and change of pace will be crucial in the Indian Premier League (IPL) and revealed that it was batting maestro Sachin Tendulkar who inspired him to think of a new delivery.
“It’s because of Sachin that I am working on a new variation. As it was him who gave me the idea about my new weapon which can trouble many batsmen,” Umesh said after a gruelling practice session at the Ferozeshah Kotla here Tuesday.
“Twenty20 is a format that requires a lot of variation. When a batsman is going after you, change of pace is very important. I am working on a new delivery but I am still not confident of bowling it in a match.”
“This format requires a lot of stamina and endurance. We have to work really hard because the match finishes in three hours and you have to give it your all,” he added.
Umesh, who was rested for the Asia Cup after a hectic tour of Australia, also spoke of Virender Sehwag’s confidence in him and how the explosive batsman shared notes with the young pacer.
“He himself being a very explosive batsman knows which balls are easy to hit and what puts him in a difficult situation. These are the things he shares with me and always keeps me motivating. During the match he has always told me to bowl with confidence. When I am bowling he is so confident about me that he always lets me set my own field.”
The Nagpur boy stressed that he was fully fit and raring to go for this season’s IPL.
“I am fully fit and very excited for IPL-5. I hope to play the whole tournament, my only focus is on IPL and nothing else. I have recovered well but I am a fast bowler and I can get injured anytime. Anything is possible in cricket,” he said.
Umesh said the rest after the Australia tour has helped him.
“I got 10 days off after the Australia tour that helped me a lot. I worked on my niggles. Shoulder and back is very important for a pacer so I have been working on that,” he said.
Umesh, who plays for Vidarbha in the Ranji Trophy, hoped that with new purchases the Daredevils would finish better this season. Delhi Daredevils had finish last in the previous edition.
“Last year our performance was bad, I am sure this year we will perform well. We have got in some very good players.”
Umesh said Daredevils head coach Eric Simmons, who was also India’s bowling coach before being replace during the tri-series in Australia, and Rahul Dravid have helped him with their valuable insights.
“Simmons has done a lot for me. He is very important for my career. He is frank and free-minded, gives me a lot of inputs to improve my bowling,” he said.
Umesh said Dravid, who retired early this month from international cricket, also passed down some valuable tips. Dravid used to help the young fast bowlers during the nets.
“Dravid is a great player. He has shared a lot of his valuable experience with me. I will surely miss him in the Indian dressing room. While bowling to him in the nets, Dravid would talk to me a lot and always corrected me whenever I went wrong,” Umesh said.
- Change of pace and variation crucial in Twenty20: Umesh Yadav - Mar 27, 2012
- Foreign players also benefit from IPL: Sekar - Mar 25, 2012
- Delhi Daredevils: Simmons promoted head coach, Sekar is team manager - Dec 22, 2011
- Simmons promoted as head coach of Delhi Daredevils (Lead) - Dec 22, 2011
- Harbhajan thanks Tendulkar for adding variety to his bowling - Jul 08, 2011
- Pathan ready to fill all-rounder's slot in Team India - Feb 24, 2012
- Ponting's was the best of my three wickets, says Yadav - Dec 26, 2011
- I have learned a lot from Morkel: Umesh Yadav - Apr 16, 2011
- Batsmen motivated to do well against Daredevils: Pollock - Apr 26, 2012
- Rookie of 2007, Ishant back in Australia with excitement - Dec 16, 2011
- Simmons asks Daredevils to guard against complacency - Apr 18, 2012
- All-rounders will play crucial role: Phil Simmons (Interview, World Cup Countdown) - Feb 16, 2011
- Dravid, the ultimate team man (Tribute) - Mar 09, 2012
- Former team mates hail Dravid 'The Wall' (Lead) - Mar 28, 2012
- Nicest guy Dravid phenomenal: Watson - Mar 09, 2012
Tags: asia cup, australia tour, batsman, change of pace, cricket, endurance, ipl, kotla, maestro, New Delhi, new weapon, pacer, practice session, premier league, sachin tendulkar, stamina, twenty20, variation, virender sehwag, yadav