Ten workers killed in Faridabad factory fireMay 3rd, 2009 - 11:11 pm ICT by IANS
Faridabad, May 3 (IANS) Ten workers were killed and at least five were still missing after a fire broke out at a factory in Faridabad near New Delhi, authorities said Sunday, adding that an inquiry was ordered.
The factory, belonging to Lakhani footwear of the Lakhani-Vardhman group and located in sector-24 industrial area, was to shut for the day Friday evening when there was a sudden blast and high flames soon engulfed the packaging department.
Before the workers packing the shoes could realise the gravity of the situation, all exit routes were blocked by flames.
“Out of nine victims, six succumbed to their injuries in the Safdarjung Hospital at Delhi, three were recovered as dead and one worker succumbed to his injuries in Sarvodaya Hospital here,” Faridabad Deputy Commissioner Brijendra Singh told IANS.
“Five to six workers are still missing. Their families have filed their complaint in police stations,” Singh said.
“The temperature at the spot is still high as the chemical mixed with rubber (used in making shoes) was highly immflamable. Forensic laboratory staff from Madhban are camping here. An inquiry commission has been constituted to examine all aspects of the accident. The inquiry officer, the deputy labour commissioner (DLC), would submit his report to me,” Singh said.
As the fire broke out, the factory management immediately sent an SOS to the fire service and a rescue operation was started by the district administration. Thirty fire tenders were pressed into service, bringing the fire under control by 2.00 a.m. Saturday.
“Immediately after we received the call, we engaged about a dozen ambulances from almost all hospitals situated in Faridabad. The critically injured workers were admitted to the Badshah Khan Government Hospital, Escort Hospital, ESI Hospital, Sarvodaya Hospital and Safdarjung Hospital at Delhi,” Singh said.
He added that the administration was discussing with the factory management terms of compensation for the kin of the deceased.
- 25 dead in Lahore factory blaze (Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- 45 killed in factory fires in Pakistan (Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- 135 die as flames engulf two factories in Pakistan (Third Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- Ten killed in Delhi factory fire, Dikshit orders probe (Second Lead) - Apr 28, 2011
- 100 die in Pakistan as two factories go up in flames (Second Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- 239 die as blaze engulfs two factories in Pakistan (Fourth Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- Ten killed in Delhi factory fire, Dikshit orders probe (Third Lead) - Apr 29, 2011
- Over 300 dead as blaze engulfs two factories in Pakistan (Night Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- 10 people killed in Delhi factory fire (Lead) - Apr 28, 2011
- Magisterial probe ordered into Faridabad factory fire - May 05, 2009
- Two killed in factory fire in Andhra Pradesh - Aug 15, 2012
- Woman killed in Delhi factory fire - Jan 26, 2011
- Two killed in fire at Andhra pharma factory - Dec 19, 2011
- 4 killed, 40 trapped as fire sweeps cracker factory - Feb 20, 2012
- In pigeonhole factory units, livelihood comes first - Apr 29, 2011