Telangana youth ends suicide threat dramaSeptember 23rd, 2011 - 12:08 am ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, Sep 22 (IANS) A 10-hour drama ended here Thursday night when a youth who had climbed on a hoarding to demand resignations of Telangana ministers and threatened to commit suicide, was finally persuaded to get down.
Srinivas, who kept the police, his family members and hundreds of onlookers on tenterhooks through the day, was arrested soon after he came down.
Earlier by his parents and Telangana Praja Front leader and revolutionary balladeer Gaddar made repeated appeals to Srinivas to give up his protest.
The youngster created a flutter in the busy Koti area by climbing on top of a huge hoarding in front of the office of director, medical and health.
Carrying a bottle of petrol and a matchbox, he threatened to commit suicide if the public representatives failed to quit and join the movement for a separate Telangana state.
Fire-fighers and policemen rushed to the area while hundreds of Telangana supporters also gathered there. Tension prevailed in the area as some Telangana activists threw stones at the vehicles and forced the closure of the shops.
Leaders of some Telangana groups also rushed there and joined police officers in appealing to Srinivas through mobile phone and public address system not to commit suicide.
- Telangana activists pay last respects to Yadi Reddy - Jul 22, 2011
- Gaddar vows not to return home without achieving Telangana state - Oct 05, 2010
- Gaddar's Telangana outfit to chalk out plans Oct 14 - Oct 10, 2010
- Student commits suicide over Telangana, situation tense (Lead) - Jul 31, 2010
- Gaddar begins tour of Telangana villages - Oct 15, 2010
- Gaddar set to dislodge TRS chief from Telangana leadership - Oct 04, 2010
- TRS wants Telangana bill irrespective of Srikrishna report - Dec 30, 2010
- Osmania University students call off fast - Jul 14, 2011
- 11 Telangana Congress MPs on indefinite hunger strike (Lead) - Dec 27, 2010
- Maoist sympathiser Gaddar takes up Telangana cause - Oct 09, 2010
- Andhra withdraws more cases, Telangana Congress MPs continue fast (Second Lead) - Dec 27, 2010
- Rallies in Andhra, Rayalaseema oppose Telangana state - Jul 08, 2011
- Movie on Telangana movement is out - Feb 04, 2011
- Unease in Andhra ahead of Srikrishna panel report - Dec 29, 2010
- No option except Telangana acceptable, says TRS - Jan 06, 2011
Tags: activists, balladeer, closure, director medical, family members, hoarding, matchbox, mobile phone, onlookers, petrol, police officers, policemen, public address system, public representatives, resignations, srinivas, state fire, tenterhooks, thursday night, youngster