Telangana leaders heading for Singareni mines heldOctober 9th, 2011 - 6:11 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, Oct 9 (IANS) Police Sunday arrested Telangana leaders while heading to Singareni mines in Andhra Pradesh’s Khammam district to express solidarity with the miners who are on strike for nearly a month demanding a Telangana state.
Telangana Joint Action Committee (JAC) convenor M. Kodandaram and other leaders were arrested near Pemburti in Warangal district, about 150 km from here
Anticipating disturbance of public peace, police stopped the Singareni “bus yatra” heading towards Kothagudem in Khammam.
A police officer said 16 JAC leaders were arrested under prohibitory orders and they were shifted back to Hyderabad.
Condemning the arrests, Telangana Rashtra Samithi (TRS) chief K. Chandrasekhara Rao said the police action was undemocratic. He demanded the immediate release of JAC leaders.
In protest, JAC activists blocked roads at Aler and Bhongir in Nalgonda district.
Employees in 50 mines of state-owned Singareni spread over four districts of Khammam, Warangal, Karimnagar and Adilabad are on strike since Sep 13.
The strike by a majority of 70,000 employees has badly hit coal production and affected the power generation in thermal power stations.
- Life paralysed as 48-hour Telangana shutdown begins (Lead) - Jul 05, 2011
- Call for industrial shutdown in four Telangana districts - Sep 30, 2011
- 'People's strike' brings Telangana to a halt - Sep 13, 2011
- Blockade brings Telangana train traffic to standstill - Jul 14, 2011
- Blockade brings Telangana train traffic to a standstill (Lead) - Jul 14, 2011
- Complete shutdown in Telangana for second day - Feb 23, 2011
- Life hit as 48-hour Telangana bandh begins - Feb 22, 2011
- Telangana celebrates liberation day amid tension, arrests - Sep 17, 2011
- Telangana MP sent to jail - Oct 16, 2011
- Telangana collieries strike hits power supplies in south India - Sep 15, 2011
- Telangana movement intensifies as teachers join strike - Sep 16, 2011
- Telangana remains paralysed for second day - Sep 14, 2011
- Hyderabad shutdown called on Sep 30, rail blockade in October (Roundup) - Sep 26, 2011
- Cracks in Telangana movement, some back to work - Oct 10, 2011
- Telangana shutdown Monday, rail blockade cut short - Oct 16, 2011
Tags: action committee, activists, aler, andhra pradesh, coal production, convenor, immediate release, jac, karimnagar, khammam district, miners, police action, police officer, power generation, protest, public peace, rao, solidarity, telangana leaders, trs