Telangana employees threaten another strikeFebruary 10th, 2012 - 7:52 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, Feb 10 (IANS) Government employees from Telangana region in Andhra Pradesh Friday threatened to launch a protest from Feb 21, culminating in a strike, if the government failed to fulfil the promises made to them at the end of a 42-day-long strike last year.
A delegation of Telangana employees’ Joint Action Committee (JAC) called on Chief Secretary Pankaj Dwivedi, urging the government to honour its commitments.
JAC leader Swami Goud told reporters that the government has not fulfilled any of the promises made in October last year. “There is no alternative left for us than to launch another agitation,” he said.
He said the JAC has chalked out an action plan to pressurise the government to fulfil the assurances. The protest programme would be taken in phases with the employees staging lunch-hour demonstrations from Feb 21. In the second phase, the employees will observe “work to rule” from March 5, or not working beyond office hours.
The JAC plans to call for “Chalo Hyderabad” on March 20. “If the government still fails to fulfil the promises, we will go on indefinite strike,” Goud said.
The government employees had participated in 42-day “Sakala Janula Samme” or people’s strike demanding separate statehood to Telangana. They called off the strike on Oct 24 after the government gave them certain assurances.
The government had agreed to adjust the 42-day strike period against eligible leave of the employee. The JAC leaders recalled that the government had also promised to lift all cases foisted against them and stop harassment.
The action plan by employees JAC is in line with the decision of Telangana JAC to resume protest for separate state in March.
Telangana JAC comprises Telangana Rashtra Samithi (TRS) and other political and non-political groups fighting for separate state.
- Government staff strike in Telangana from Sep 13 - Sep 03, 2011
- Telangana leaders head for Delhi to meet PM - Sep 30, 2011
- General strike continues in Telangana for separate state - Sep 15, 2011
- 'People's strike' brings Telangana to a halt - Sep 13, 2011
- Kiran Reddy seeks time from Telangana employees - Mar 05, 2012
- Telangana strike on, power cut in Hyderabad - Sep 21, 2011
- State buses remain off roads in Telangana - Sep 20, 2011
- Telangana employees return to work after 16 days - Mar 05, 2011
- Telangana employees launch protest for separate state - Aug 09, 2011
- Telangana employees gearing up for indefinite strike - Aug 07, 2011
- Pro-Telangana activists call for rail blockade March 1 (Lead) - Feb 25, 2011
- KCR planning another fast for Telangana - Sep 20, 2011
- Telangana employees boycott talks over proposed strike - Aug 05, 2011
- Telangana movement may turn violent, warns Congress MP - Feb 21, 2012
- Egypt-like protest for Telangana in Hyderabad? - Feb 25, 2011
Tags: action committee, agitation, andhra pradesh, assurances, chief secretary, commitments, delegation, demonstrations, government employees, harassment, honour, indefinite strike, lunch hour, pankaj, political groups, promises, second phase, statehood, swami, trs