Tehran condemns EU for removing PMOI from terror listJanuary 27th, 2009 - 6:28 am ICT by IANS
Tehran, Jan 27 (DPA) Tehran Monday condemned the European Union (EU) foreign ministers for removing the Iranian opposition group People’s Mujahedin of Iran (PMOI) from their list of terrorist organisations.The Iranian foreign ministry said in a press statement that the EU has decided to make “friendship and cooperation with terrorists” who have been involved in several terrorist operations and killings of innocent people.
The statement further charged the EU of pursuing a double standard towards dealing with terrorism and has hence distanced itself from the main principles of the global fight against terrorism.
The statement termed the EU move as unacceptable and aimed at following short-term political objectives against the Iranian government.
The EU decision Monday followed a ruling by the European Court in Luxembourg, which in December said the EU was wrong to keep the PMOI’s assets frozen after it was taken off a British list of terrorist organisations.
Founded in 1965, the PMOI operated a military wing in its early years, but says it renounced violence in June 2001 and now advocates the political overthrow of Iran’s current government.
Iran regards PMOI as a terrorist group due to its involvement in the assassinations of several high-ranking Iranian officials, including the president and prime minister in 1980.
After the group was expelled from France in the 1980s, former Iraqi president Saddam Hussein allocated a military base to the PMOI near the border with Iran.
Before the ouster of Saddam, the PMOI frequently infiltrated Iranian territory, leading to clashes with Iranian forces and casualties on both sides.
- EU takes Iranian group off list of terror outfits - Jan 26, 2009
- Iranians protest EU move to take out group from terror list - Jan 28, 2009
- Iran seeks death sentence for five of exile rebel group - Jan 18, 2010
- Iraq frees 36 Iranian opposition members - Oct 07, 2009
- Bush-era officials urge Obama to strike off Iran opposition group from terror list - Dec 18, 2010
- EU to remove Iranian group from terror list - Jan 23, 2009
- Iran executes PMOI party member over 'enemy of God' charges - Dec 28, 2010
- Eight killed in clashes at Iranian exile camp in Iraq - Jul 29, 2009
- EU to enforce Iran oil embargo from July onwards - Jun 26, 2012
- Iranian cleric warns against UN, EU support to Britain - Dec 03, 2011
- Tehran accuses US of launching 'cyber war' against Iran - Mar 14, 2010
- Iran summons British envoy over help for rebel group - Jun 17, 2010
- EU urges Iran against using force (Second Lead) - Feb 15, 2011
- Russia-Saudi Arabia: A growing strain - Sep 06, 2012
- EU court annuls freeze of Iranian group's assets - Dec 04, 2008