Teesta denies fabricating riot victims’ affidavitsNovember 25th, 2010 - 11:39 pm ICT by IANS
Gandhinagar, Nov 25 (IANS) Activist Teesta Setalvad, general secretary of Citizens for Justice and Peace (CJP), has denied allegations made by a former associate that she fabricated affidavits of the 2002 Gujarat communal riot victims.
Her denial came in a counter-affidavit filed Thursday before the Justices G.T. Nanavati-Akshay Mehta enquiry commission probing the Godhra train carnage and the subsequent communal riots in Gujarat in 2002.
She refuted the charges made against her in an affidavit filed before the commission by former CJP employee, Rais Khan Pathan, who worked as field co-ordinator in Ahmedabad.
Setalvad pointed out that Pathan was removed from the services of the CJP Jan 18, 2008, by the board of trustees after complaints of misappropriation of funds.
She denied that she fabricated the affidavits filed by the riot victims and witnesses and claimed that they were given by the victims in Ahmedabad and they stood by their versions even in the affidavits filed in the Supreme Court.
She claimed that the CJP had received a number of complaints against Pathan of amassing wealth disproportionate to his known sources of income.
- Riot panel witness testifies against Teesta Setalvad - Nov 24, 2010
- NGO files plea before Gujarat riots commission - May 14, 2010
- Gujarat riots: Panel asked to seek details from ex-officials - Aug 26, 2010
- Gujarat government harassing Sanjiv Bhatt, say activists - Oct 01, 2011
- Supreme Court pulls up Modi on FIR against activist - Feb 21, 2012
- 'Teesta Setalvad not worried about court probe' - Nov 05, 2010
- Order on Teesta's plea reserved till Friday - May 25, 2011
- Apex court questions Gujarat on probe against Setalvad (Lead) - Jan 30, 2012
- Court slams Gujarat, spares Teest in mass grave case - Apr 13, 2012
- Nanavati-Mehta panel allows cross-examination of Sanjiv Bhatt - May 09, 2011
- Petition seeking Narendra Modi's deposition before Nanavati panel rejected (Second Lead) - Feb 01, 2012
- Probe on 'doctored' Gujarat riots affidavits - Jul 11, 2011
- Gujarat riots probe panel's term extended - Jun 21, 2011
- Teesta Setalvad gets anticipatory bail - Aug 03, 2011
- 'Recall senior policemen before Nanavati-Mehta panel' - Aug 15, 2010
Tags: activist, affidavit, affidavits, akshay, allegations, board of trustees, carnage, cjp, co ordinator, communal riot, communal riots, enquiry, field co, general secretary, justice and peace, mehta, misappropriation of funds, nanavati, pathan, riots in gujarat