Teenager immolates self after rape attempt by youthFebruary 23rd, 2011 - 1:38 am ICT by IANS
Aligarh (Uttar Pradesh), Feb 23 (IANS) A teenager here immolated herself after a youth tried to rape her, police said Tuesday. The accused is absconding.The 19-year-old girl, who was a native of Quarsi town died Tuesday - a day after she had set herself ablaze after her 20-year-old neighbour tried to rape her.
“The girl had over 70 percent burns. She died today (Tuesday) while being treated at the Aligarh Medical College,” police inspector Udaiveer Malik told reporters in Aligarh, some 300 km from Lucknow.
“On the complaint of the victim’s father, we have registered a case against the 20-year-old youth, who tried to rape the girl while she was returning from the fields,” he added.
According to police, the youth has been booked under multiple sections of the Indian Penal Code, including 376 (rape) and 306 (abetment of suicide).
“Efforts are on to nab the youth the youth,” said Malik.
- Girl set afire for resisting rape - Nov 05, 2011
- Rape victim succumbs to burn injuries - Apr 18, 2012
- Woman forced into prostitution by husband ends life - Apr 16, 2012
- Teenager dies after being set ablaze by molester - May 29, 2010
- Cancer patient commits suicide - Aug 18, 2012
- Raped Dalit teen immolates herself over police inaction - Sep 03, 2010
- Man arrested for raping, murdering minor - Feb 10, 2011
- Girl gang raped in Ghaziabad - Nov 09, 2011
- Girl, set ablaze by spurned suitor, dies - Feb 18, 2011
- Father in police custody for raping teenage daughter - Jun 03, 2012
- Minor abducted, gang-raped - Nov 16, 2011
- Girl tries to end life after MMS blackmail - Apr 26, 2011
- Youth rapes mentally challenged Dalit girl - May 04, 2011
- Rapist run over by train, dies - Jan 29, 2011
- 13-year-old girl raped in capital - Jan 12, 2011