Teenager falls into Bengal well (Lead)June 24th, 2012 - 11:57 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, June 24 (IANS) Nearly six hours after a teenaged boy Sunday fell into a 30-feet-deep well in West Bengal’s Howrah district, around the same time when a four-year-old girl’s body was recovered from a borewell in Haryana, divers were struggling to rescue him.
Roshan, 17, a construction worker, slipped and fell into the well around 4 p.m. at Eksara area in Liluah town while trying to draw water, a witness said. This was around the same time when the body of four-year-old Mahi was recovered from a borewell in Haryana’s Manesar town.
Disaster Management, Fire and Emergency Services Minister Javed Khan said: “The disaster management group personnel have reached the spot with gas masks as there are toxic gases in the well. The fire brigade personnel are also there. We hope he will be rescued quickly”.
The minister said search lights were being used with divers ready to go into the well.
“Our estimate is the well is 30 feet deep. Some others are saying it is 70 feet deep,” he said.
The firemen initially tried to pump out water from the well. “But no sooner we pumped out some water, it again started getting filled up,” said a fire brigade official.
Area lawmaker Rajib Banerjee said efforts were on to send a crane to the spot so that if any rescuer entering the well fell sick, he could be brought out with the help of the crane.
- Teenager falls into well in West Bengal - Jun 24, 2012
- Bengal teenager who fell into well brought out dead - Jun 25, 2012
- Other incidents of toddlers being rescued - Jun 23, 2012
- Girl remains trapped for over 60 hours in borewell - Jun 23, 2012
- Mahi is dead, says doctor - Jun 24, 2012
- Mahi trapped in borewell not responding to calls (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- Four-year-old falls in borewell in Haryana - Jun 21, 2012
- Girl out of borewell, taken to hospital (Lead) - Jun 24, 2012
- Child rights panel seeks report on abandoned borewells - Jun 24, 2012
- Now child falls into borewell in Maharashtra - Jul 09, 2012
- After 86 long hours, Mahi is dead (Lead) - Jun 24, 2012
- Six people responsible for Mahi's death, says inquiry - Sep 21, 2012
- Two-year-old toddler falls into borewell in Andhra - Jan 18, 2010
- Rescue operations still on for baby in borewell - Jun 22, 2012
- Mahi is dead; end came on first or second day, doctors say (Second Lead) - Jun 24, 2012
Tags: construction worker, disaster management, fire and emergency services, fire brigade, firemen, gas masks, howrah district, javed khan, lawmaker, mahi, management group, manesar, old girl, rescuer, search lights, six hours, teenaged boy, toxic gases, water from the well, west bengal