Teenaged couple commits suicide in West BengalNovember 30th, 2008 - 8:25 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Nov 30 (IANS) A teenaged couple Sunday committed suicide by jumping off from the terrace of a five-storeyed building in West Bengal’s North 24-Parganas district, the police said.The incident took place at the Niyati Apartments at Dumdum town of the district under Lake Town police station.
“Babai Pal, 17, married Sumana, 15, this August against the wishes of their families. They were hiding in the attic room of the building. Locals saw Sumana standing on the edge of the terrace around 6 a.m. But before they could shout warnings, she jumped off and died on the spot,” a senior police official told reporters here.
“Babai came running to save her and finding her dead rushed to the terrace and jumped off from the same point. He was admitted in critical conditions to a local hospital but died in the afternoon,” the official said.
He added that the police are investigating the reasons behind tehir suicides.
Babai’s father Sanjit Pal said he has no idea why the couple committed suicide.
“It’s true that they married against our wishes and we didn’t accept them. But that doesn’t mean that we provoked them to commit suicide. Even I am shocked why they took this fatal step,” he said.
- For love's sake, three end life on V-Day in Karnataka - Feb 14, 2012
- Woman commits suicide, six held in dowry case - Jun 14, 2012
- Woman dies after jumping from metro station terrace - May 04, 2012
- Three striking nurses threaten suicide in Kerala - Aug 15, 2012
- Kolkata airport official dies after fall - Sep 17, 2011
- Class 9 boy jumps off building, dies - Sep 06, 2012
- Two jump to death off burning building - Nov 12, 2011
- Woman commits suicide at Delhi Metro station (Second Lead) - Jun 04, 2012
- Three commit suicide as daughter-in-law files case - Jul 20, 2012
- Kolkata student jumps to death - Dec 07, 2010
- Pregnant woman commits suicide in Delhi - Jun 19, 2012
- Woman jumps to death in Gurgaon - Jun 06, 2012
- Man jumps from building, dies (Lead) - Apr 27, 2011
- Man jumps off highrise, dies - Apr 27, 2011
- Class 8 girl jumps to death in Ranchi, boy injured - Oct 13, 2011