Team relied on class, not effort: Russian sports ministerJune 23rd, 2012 - 9:45 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, June 23 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Sports minister Vitaly Mutko said Saturday that Russia relied too much on their natural class without putting in the required effort to qualify for the Euro 2012 football knockout stages.
Expectations were high Russia would repeat their semi-final finish in the Euro 2008 in Poland and Ukraine, approaching the tournament on a 14-game unbeaten run, including a 3-0 trouncing of Italy, and starting with a 4-1 win over the Czech Republic.
But a 1-1 draw with co-hosts Poland and then a shock 0-1 defeat to Greece sent the Russians home when the Czechs beat Poland, setting off a protracted blame game in the football community.
“The team potential is much higher than their result,” Mutko said in comments on Russian state television. “It was shown by the games against the Italians and the Czechs.”
“There was hope that we would make it through due to the class, but we didn’t.”
Outgoing coach Dick Advocaat took much of the blame for his light training sessions, while many others pointed to the rigours of an 18-month season as the country transfers to a European calendar.
“Firstly, the guys were affected by the championship’s changing from the spring-to-autumn system, they were tired after the lengthy season,” Mutko said.
“Secondly, the coaching team did not manage to prepare the players.”
With Advocaat heading back to PSV Eindhoven, speculation has mounted as to who might succeed the Dutchman.
Luciano Spalletti, the coach of champions Zenit St. Petersburg, has been linked with the post, as well as the president of newly promoted Alania Vladikavkaz, Valery Gazzaev, who coached the team a decade ago.
- Russia to decide on new coach soon: Sports minister - Jul 05, 2012
- 'Capello appointment will kill Russian coaching' - Jul 19, 2012
- Coach Advocaat proud of Russia despite Euro exit - Jun 17, 2012
- Arshavin crucial to Russia's success, says Advocaat - Jun 09, 2012
- Ex-Russia coach backs liberal foreigners limit - Jul 06, 2012
- Russian football chief resigns after Euro failure - Jun 26, 2012
- Spalletti backs Guardiola, Semak for Russia post - Jul 11, 2012
- Russia needs fresh blood, says Hiddink - Jul 13, 2012
- Capello holds talks for Russia job: Sports Minister (Lead) - Jul 12, 2012
- Zenit thrash Spartak 5-0 - Aug 11, 2012
- Zenit coach confirms interest in Nani - Aug 18, 2012
- Greece too hard to break down: Russia coach - Jun 17, 2012
- Russia to improve: Advocaat - Jun 03, 2012
- Euro 2012: Russian coach wary of 'rough' Greeks - Jun 15, 2012
- Spalletti backs Capello for Russia - Jul 15, 2012
Tags: blame game, coach dick, coaching team, czechs, dick advocaat, dutchman, euro 2008, euro 2012, football community, football knockout, italians, june 23, knockout stages, luciano, ria novosti, russian sports, russian state television, russians, valery, vitaly