Team probing Ishrat Jahan killing seeks legal helpDecember 30th, 2010 - 11:13 pm ICT by IANS
Gandhinagar, Dec 30 (IANS) The Special Investigation Team (SIT) probing the 2004 Ishrat Jahan staged shootout case has filed a petition before the Gujarat High Court seeking appointment of a lawyer to assist in the probe.Chairperson of the high court-appointed SIT Karnail Singh has sought the appointment of an amicus curiae, a lawyer tasked by court, to assist the team on legal points which may arise during the probe.
The petition is expected to come up before a high court bench which set up the SIT, comprising of two Gujarat cadre Indian Police Service (IPS) officers Mohan Jha and Satish Verma. The team’s chief is also a senior IPS officer who was earlier posted in Delhi.
Mumbai college girl Ishrat Jahan was killed in a shootout in June 2004 along with three others. Gujarat police at the time claimed that Ishrat and the three others were Lashkar-e-Taiba operatives on a mission to kill Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
According to police, they were intercepted on the outskirts of Ahmedabad when they were about to enter the city in a car.
- Court appoints amicus curiae in Ishrat Jahan case - Jan 28, 2011
- Ishrat Jahan case: SIT-summoned police officers fail to appear - Apr 29, 2011
- Ishrat Jahan case: Differences crop up in SIT - Jan 13, 2011
- Maharashtra top cop seeks to opt out of Ishrat Jahan probe - Jun 25, 2011
- Supreme Court restrains SIT in Ishrat Jahan case (Lead) - May 03, 2011
- SC stays probe in Ishrat Jahan case - May 03, 2011
- Protect witnesses in Ishrat Jahan case, says court (Lead) - Jan 28, 2011
- Ishrat Jahan killing: Probe team gets access to judicial report - Mar 10, 2011
- Delhi Police official to head probe team in Ishrat Jahan case - Sep 24, 2010
- Ishrat Jahan killing: Probe team submits report - Apr 05, 2011
- Contempt plea against Gujarat disposed in Ishrat Jahan killing - Nov 22, 2010
- Gujarat hampering Ishrat Jahan shootout probe: Court - Apr 08, 2011
- Ishrat Jahan case: 14 Gujarat cops now seek CBI probe - Apr 26, 2011
- Delhi Police officer to head probe team in Ishrat Jahan case (Lead) - Sep 24, 2010
- Court appoints new head of Ishrat Jahan case probe team - May 13, 2011
Tags: ahmedabad, chairperson, chief minister, college girl, court bench, gujarat high court, gujarat police, indian police service, investigation team, ips officer, ips officers, ishrat jahan, jha, lashkar e taiba, legal help, mohan, narendra, operatives, outskirts, satish verma