Teachers, students of Agra University go on strikeJuly 20th, 2008 - 9:01 pm ICT by IANS
Agra, July 20 (IANS) Teachers and students of Agra University Sunday went on strike after a police complaint was filed against Vice-Chancellor K.N. Tripathi, Registrar B.R. Kanaujia and five others by a college professor said to be close to some Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) leaders. Professor R.K. Bhartiya has filed a First Information Report (FIR) against the vice-chancellor and the others under sections of the Indian Penal Code and the Harijan Act.
The university has been in turmoil for the past week over alleged racketeering in some recruitments to vacant posts by Bhartiya. The vice-chancellor set up an inquiry committee to probe the matter.
A section of the teachers and employees led by Bhartiya complained to the police Friday that Tripathi and Kanaujia had tried to stab him and were moving around the campus with daggers. Both the vice-chancellor and the registrar denied the allegations. They told media persons that they were not in the city on the days when the incidents are believed to have taken place.
The students and teachers have taken to the streets in support of the vice-chancellor and registrar and threatened indefinite strike from Monday if the cases are not withdrawn immediately.
Supporters of Tripathi said this “was all done under political pressure without investigation”.
President of the Karamcharis Union Vikram Choudhary and general secretary Arvind Gupta said Sunday that the university would remain closed till the case is settled and charges withdrawn.
President of the Residential Institute Teachers Association Rama Shankar has announced that the students and teachers would stage sit-in at the New Agra Police Station Monday morning.
The district authorities assured the vice-chancellor that there would be full investigation before any action is initiated.
- Bhatkhande varsity officials charged for student's death - May 27, 2010
- To protest or not to protest - Panjab University debates - May 04, 2011
- Fake certificates scam: Court orders probe against vice chancellor - Apr 03, 2012
- Students burn effigy of Meghalaya varsity vice-chancellor - Nov 04, 2010
- DUTA to go ahead with protests Thursday - Jan 11, 2012
- Mystery shrouds death of AMU gay teacher - Apr 08, 2010
- Nashik open university launches web radio - Sep 08, 2012
- Shiv Sena demands suspension of Mumbai University VC - Mar 30, 2012
- Agra varsity students forcibly close colleges - Nov 08, 2009
- Delhi University warns teachers' association against strike - Oct 22, 2010
- Bengal students ragged on Facebook - Aug 03, 2011
- Jauhar appointed Ambedkar University vice chancellor - Jan 04, 2011
- Vice chancellor, officials confined in office overnight in Bengal - Apr 26, 2012
- UP moves to make varsities tobacco-free - Apr 25, 2012
- Shutdown in Himachal varsity, students miss classes - Aug 13, 2012