Teachers, NGOs to intensify campaign for education billJuly 10th, 2008 - 4:16 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, July 10 (IANS) Teachers and non government organisations here announced Thursday intensification of their campaign to demand enactment of the Right to Education in the next session of parliament. “We will apprise all the political parties and create awareness across the country on why we need the act,” Ranjan Mohanty, convenor of National Campaign Committee on Right to Education through Common School System (Nccrtecss) told IANS.
A five member delegation led by Communist Party of India (CPI) MP D. Raja Wednesday met Human Resource Development (HRD) Minister Arjun Singh in New Delhi and submitted a memorandum in this regard, said Mohanty, who was also one of the delegation members.
“We stressed on the need to table the bill in the next session of parliament and the minister assured that it would be tabled in the Monsoon session,” he said.
“We told the minister that the proposed bill must ensure equitable quality of education up to 18 years of age (upto Class 12) through common school system based on the principle of neighbourhood school,” he said.
We also demanded allocation of at least six percent of the GDP (gross domestic product) for education.
Nccrtecss organised a national convention at Gandhi Peace Foundation at New Delhi before meeting Singh, he said.
“The convention decided to observe August 9 (Kranti Divas) as national demand day for right to education through a common school system,” Mohanty said.
- Government hopeful of passing important education bills - Apr 22, 2012
- Education must be above political agenda: Sibal - Apr 18, 2012
- National body for controlling teachers largely welcomed - Sep 04, 2011
- Sonia seeks opposition support to run parliament - Nov 29, 2011
- Major education reforms at advisory board meet (Roundup) - Jun 20, 2010
- Great budget session, says UPA; others slam it - May 22, 2012
- Need to deregulate education: Sam Pitroda - Oct 28, 2010
- Right to Education campaign launched from Haryana - Nov 11, 2011
- Government doesn't protect whistleblowers: Activists - Sep 19, 2012
- A council for human resource in health soon: PM (Second Lead) - Oct 01, 2010
- A council for human resource in health soon: PM(Lead) - Oct 01, 2010
- Government to bring Lokpal bill in line with constitution (Roundup) - Jul 04, 2011
- Broad contours of Lokpal Bill to be finalised by next month: Sibal - May 02, 2011
- Lokpal bill ready to be tabled in parliament - Jul 22, 2011
- Structural, administrative reforms needed for developing education: Sibal - Apr 02, 2012