Teacher held for posing as Maoist extorting Rs.2 croreMay 14th, 2011 - 4:22 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, May 14 (IANS) A government school teacher in Chhattisgarh who wanted to get even with his neighbour made extortion calls posing as a Maoist commander to several people using a cell phone issued in the name of the neighbour. The teacher has been arrested, police said.
The school teacher, Chandrakant Sahu, posted at a government school in Rajim in Raipur district, was arrested for seeking Rs.2 crore in extortion by posing as a commander of the banned Communist Party of India-Maoist (CPI-Maoist), a police officer said Saturday.
“Chandrakant Sahu was tracked down late Friday. He had sent an SMS from his cell phone to an automobile company official and asked them to pay Rs.2 crore and threatened to wipe out his family if he failed to cough up the money,” I.H. Khan, additional superintendent of police, Raipur, told reporters.
The school teacher had sent the SMS claiming to be a commander of the CPI-Maoist. The automobile official was under extreme mental stress since May 10 when he got the SMS, Khan said.
Police said the teacher had sent the SMS to a few other people as well.
“The teacher’s interrogation gives a clear indication that he sent the SMS as he wanted to settle personal scores with a neighbour with whom he had a land dispute for a long time,” Khan informed.
The teacher had managed to get the identity card of his neighbour whom he wanted to teach a lesson and got several cell phones issued on his name and was using these to make his extortion calls so that the neighbour would be arrested, police said.
- Maoist couple killed in Odisha gun battle - Jan 27, 2012
- Top Odisha Maoist leader held (Lead) - Jan 24, 2012
- Top Odisha Maoist leader held - Jan 24, 2012
- Maoists deny abducting intelligence officer in West Bengal - Nov 04, 2010
- Five Maoists held in Jharkhand - Jan 19, 2011
- Jharkhand offers cash rewards for 10 Maoists' capture - May 29, 2012
- Andhra Maoist arrested in Jharkhand - Aug 09, 2010
- Lingaram Kodopi and Soni Sori: Chhattisgarh's prisoners of conscience (Special Report) - Aug 04, 2012
- Maoist commander, six aides held in Chhattisgarh - May 05, 2010
- Armed Maoists raid home of Chhattisgarh legislator - Oct 12, 2011
- Seven Maoists surrender in Chhattisgarh - Jan 30, 2012
- Two abducted Chhattisgarh cops released - Nov 20, 2010
- Maoists claim two missing cops are in their custody (Lead) - Nov 15, 2010
- Jharkhand doctor alleges extortion call by Maoists - Apr 23, 2010
- Four Chhattisgarh cops suspended for suspected Maoist's death - Jan 15, 2012
Tags: automobile company, cell phone, cell phones, chhattisgarh, communist party of india, CPI, crore, extortion, government school, interrogation, land dispute, long time, maoist, mental stress, money, personal scores, police officer, school teacher, sms, superintendent