Teacher charged with culpable homicide for schoolgirl’s deathApril 17th, 2009 - 6:16 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 17 (IANS) The schoolteacher who allegedly beat and punished 11-year-old Shano Khan, resulting in her death Friday, has been charged with culpable homicide not amounting to murder, police officials said.
“A case of culpable homicide not amounting to murder was registered against the teacher following the death of the girl. The teacher will be arrested soon,” said Deputy Commissioner of Police (outer) Atul Katiyar.
Shano slipped into a coma Wednesday after her class teacher Manju in the Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) primary school in Narela in north Delhi allegedly beat her and made her stand in the sun for more than an hour for failing to recite the alphabet.
The girl was shifted to the Lok Nayak Jai Prakash Narayan Hospital Thursday evening after her condition deteriorated. She died Friday afternoon.
Delhi Police had not registered a complaint earlier as it was awaiting the medical report from the hospital.
- Tortured schoolgirl's body handed over to parents; no arrest yet (Second Lead) - Apr 18, 2009
- Probe on, will take action against Shano Khan's teacher: Police - Apr 18, 2009
- Punished girl in coma, no charges against teacher - Apr 17, 2009
- Girl dies after punishment in school (Lead) - Apr 17, 2009
- Tortured schoolgirl's body handed over to parents; no arrest yet (Lead) - Apr 18, 2009
- Civic agency awaiting schoolgirl's viscera report to finish probe - Apr 27, 2009
- Police may record statements of Shano's classmates - Apr 26, 2009
- Police to quiz classmates of corporal punishment victim - Apr 20, 2009
- Girl dies after punishment in school (Second Lead) - Apr 17, 2009
- Punished by teacher, 11-year-old girl goes into coma - Apr 16, 2009
- Delhi CM expresses shock over student's torture, death - Apr 17, 2009
- FIR lodged against teacher for Delhi student's death - Apr 17, 2009
- Muslim organisation adopts family of dead schoolgirl - Apr 24, 2009
- Five days on, little progress in probing schoolgirl's death - Apr 21, 2009
- Corporal punishment death: autopsy hints at epilepsy - Apr 24, 2009