‘Teach children how to use natural resources’October 15th, 2008 - 2:56 pm ICT by IANS
Ahmedabad, Oct 15 (IANS) School students should be taught how to use natural resources so that they don’t run out, Ahmedabad-based Consumer Education and Research Centre (CERC) said here Wednesday. CERC called on the government to implement the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) guidelines on ‘Education for Sustainable Consumption in Formal Education’.
“The coordinated day of action has been organised by the global consumer movement as a means of empowering consumers to make responsible decisions from a young age,” said Pritee Shah, senior director-CERC and editor of CERC-run Insight magazine.
“Educating the young generation and pushing them into action is the challenge before us today. All-round effort needs to be made to prepare education material that would appeal to this generation, and should be easily accessible. We at CERC together with GTZ (a German technical cooperation agency) are developing fun-to-read booklets, animation films and posters for the young. We hope this material make them think and act,” Shah said.
UNEP has outlined crucial social development and environmental aspects in its Education for Sustainable Consumption programme.
- Growth in Asia at high environmental cost: UN - Sep 19, 2011
- Delhiites go on cyclothon to raise eco-awareness - Mar 13, 2011
- Ambika Soni to inaugurate 'National Community Radio Sammelan' - Apr 06, 2011
- Court to centre: ban junk food from school, college canteens - Oct 05, 2011
- Asia-Pacific fastest growing greenhouse gases source: UN - Jun 06, 2012
- Indian-American doctor offers healthcare solutions for India - Aug 13, 2012
- Abhishek to receive award from Arnie - Feb 01, 2012
- UN announces environment education programme for students - Jun 24, 2010
- Design of future: Minimal, casual and honest (With Image) - Mar 13, 2012
- G-20 Summit Declaration - Jun 20, 2012
- Congress booklet counters Ramdev's black money claims - Jun 11, 2011
- At long last, Husain comes to Delhi (Feature, With Image) - Aug 06, 2011
- Sachin Tendulkar named UN Goodwill Ambassador - Mar 12, 2010
- Consumers in Gujarat get toll free number for complaints - Dec 24, 2008
- Think Tank proposes plan to teach Oz students about Islam - Jul 11, 2010