Tata Teleservices loses 4.4 mn subscribers in NovemberJanuary 9th, 2012 - 10:43 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 9 (IANS) Tata Teleservices lost 4.4 million subscribers in November, official data showed Monday even as the total number of mobile phone subscribers in India rose to 884.37 million during the month, with Idea Cellular alone adding 2.17 million subscribers.
According to the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI), the wireless user base grew 0.34 percent during the month with an addition of 2.97 million subscribers, from 881.4 million in October.
With this, the total number of telephone subscribers, including landline users, touched 917.33 million, registering a growth of 0.30 percent.
Overall teledensity in India reached 76.18.
However, of the total 884.37 million wireless subscribers, only 635.39 million subscribers were active subscribers on the date of peak visitor location register (VLR).
VLR is a temporary database of the subscribers who have roamed into the particular area, which it serves. Each base station in the network is served by exactly one VLR, hence a subscriber cannot be present in more than one VLR at a time.
The total number of subscribers of Idea Cellular stood at 103.99 million.
Uninor added 1.86 million subscribers to have a total of 34.18 million subscribers. While Reliance Communications added 1 million users to take its subscribers base to 149.13 million. Bharti Airtel added 960,083 subscribers to have a total of 174.69 million users.
Vodafone added 925,103 subscribers, increasing its subscriber-count to 146.84 million.
State-owned Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd (BSNL) lost 184,086 million subscribers to have 96 million users while Videocon lost 588,314 subscribers to record total subscribers at 5.48 million.
Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Ltd (MTNL) added 31,787 million subscribers to have 5.64 million subscribers.
According to the data, the broadband subscriber base grew 1.21 percent from 12.98 million in October to 13.13 million in November 2011.
- India's mobile subscriber base reaches 893.84 mn - Jan 30, 2012
- Bharti adds 2 mn subscribers in May, India total now 929 mn - Jul 05, 2012
- India's mobile subscriber base reaches 919.17 million in March - May 03, 2012
- Uninor leads India to 903.73 mn mobile subscribers - Mar 06, 2012
- India now has 858.4 million mobile phone subscribers - Sep 09, 2011
- India's mobile subscriber base crosses 865.7 mn - Oct 20, 2011
- India's mobile subscriber base crosses 840 mn - Jul 07, 2011
- India now has 811.59 mn mobile phone subscribers (Lead) - Apr 29, 2011
- India's mobile subscriber base touches 811.59 million - Apr 29, 2011
- India now has 851.7 mn mobile phones - Aug 08, 2011
- India's mobile subscriber base touches 791.38 million - Apr 07, 2011
- Bharti Airtel denies inflating subscriber numbers - Feb 11, 2011
- India adds 6.87 mn GSM subscribers in March - Apr 20, 2012
- India's mobile subscribers at 771.18 million - Mar 04, 2011
- India adds 8.58 million GSM subscribers in June - Jul 18, 2011
Tags: bharti airtel, bsnl, idea cellular, mahanagar telephone nigam ltd, million subscribers, mobile phone subscribers, mtnl, peak visitor, sanchar nigam ltd, subscriber base, subscriber count, tata teleservices, telecom regulatory authority, telecom regulatory authority of india, teledensity in india, telephone subscribers, videocon, visitor location, vlr, wireless subscribers