Tata Tea to outsource herbal tea manufacturing in USFebruary 2nd, 2009 - 7:27 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Feb 2 (IANS) Tata Tea Ltd will outsource manufacturing of Good Earth, its herbal tea brand in the US, to an existing joint venture in that country to save “over $1 million” (about Rs.5 crore) annually, a top company official said here Monday.”We have decided to opt for an outsourced model within the US as the yearly savings that would accrue to us would be anything over $1 million,” Tata Tea managing director Percy Siganporia told reporters at a press conference.
Siganporia, however, did not indicate from when such savings would get reflected in the company’s financial results.
Tata Tea has acquired the Good Earth brand from Good Earth Corp, apart from several other buyouts in the US.
Good Earth, which is manufactured at Tata Tea’s own facilities in the US, will now be produced by Southern Tea, an existing 50:50 joint venture the Indian company has with Harris Freeman, an American importer and distributor of spices, tea and coffee.
Southern Tea currently manufactures Britain’s tea brand Tetley for the US market.
Tata Tea employees at Good Earth’s manufacturing unit will be shifted to Southern Tea.
Good Earth’s current scale of manufacturing in the US is “miniscule” and does not support the costs associated with it, Siganporia said, without mentioning the current scale of Good Earth’s manufacturing facility.
Tata Tea is also planning to restructure its management set-up in the US that takes care of operations of tea wholesaler FMali Herb Inc, Eight-O-Clock Coffee Co, and a plantation at Plant City in Florida apart from the Tetley and Good Earth brands, he said.
FMali belongs to Tata Tea US subsidiary Tetley US Holdings, while Eight-O-Clock Coffee belongs to another subsidiary, Tata Coffee.
“We plan to consolidate our management set-up in the US under a unified command as this will eliminate large chunks of administrative costs,” Siganporia said.
- Tata Beverages, Kerala Ayurveda to form joint venture - Jan 28, 2011
- A factsheet on the Tata Group - Nov 24, 2011
- Tata Tea plans expanding overseas distribution - Sep 01, 2009
- Tata Global Beverages: The new name proposed for Tata Tea - May 06, 2010
- Fiat to open 80 standalone dealerships by year-end - Sep 19, 2012
- Tata Global Beverages to enter nourishing foods sector: Ratan Tata - Aug 30, 2011
- Tata Coffee net up 43 percent in 2011-12 - May 09, 2012
- Tata Chemicals re-brands global subsidiaries - Apr 01, 2011
- Fiat to manage distribution of Indian subsidiary - May 02, 2012
- Tatas sign formal pact for opening Starbucks cafes in India - Jan 30, 2012
- Tata Coffee net profit zooms 79 percent in third quarter - Jan 25, 2011
- Fiat to open stand-alone showrooms in 20 cities - Sep 06, 2011
- Tata to take 'Himalayan' water brand to new markets - Aug 31, 2012
- Ratan Tata force behind group's international foray - Nov 24, 2011
- Factsheet on the Tata group - Mar 23, 2009