Tata Motors plant will come up in Singur: NirupamAugust 22nd, 2008 - 8:59 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Aug 22 (IANS) Moving in swiftly to assuage Tata Group chairman Ratan Tata after his threat to move out from the state, West Bengal Industries Minister Nirupam Sen emphatically stated Friday that the Tata’s small car factory would be set up in the proposed area in Singur despite agitations by the opposition Trinamool Congress.”We’ll set up the Tata Motors’ small car unit in Singur and the Rs.100,000 car, Nano, will roll out from this factory,” Sen told a public meeting in Hooghly district’s Singur - about 40 km from here.
He said the opposition parties were “conspiring” against the ruling Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M)-led Left Front government in West Bengal.
“It’s nothing but an aggressive politics and the opposition political parties are misleading people in the state terribly,” he said, adding that people should decide whether they want development and new employment opportunities in West Bengal.
Earlier in the day, Sen said it is not possible for the state government to give back to farmers the 400 acres as demanded by the opposition parties.
Sen’s statement came in the wake of Ratan Tata’s comment that Tata Motors would think of pulling out if the state made it feel “unwanted”.
A total of 997.11 acres were acquired for the Tata Motors’ small car project by the Left Front government, triggering violent protests in June 2006.
The project witnessed a series of stiff resistance by the villagers, led by parties like Trinamool Congress, over acquisition of farmlands.
- 2007 accord on Tata's Singur plant land to be made public - May 26, 2011
- Tata Motors to move court Wednesday against Singur Act - Jun 22, 2011
- Making Singur land accord public will take time: Bengal minister - May 27, 2011
- Some day Tata Motors will have plant in Bengal: Ratan Tata (Lead) - Aug 31, 2012
- Some day Tata Motors will have plant in Bengal: Ratan Tata - Aug 31, 2012
- Mamata buckles under anti-land acquisition stir, cancels Sankarail project (Lead) - Jan 14, 2011
- Mrinal Sen expresses doubt over Singur land - Jun 14, 2011
- West Bengal moves apex court on Singur land law - Aug 07, 2012
- 400 acres to be returned to Singur farmers: Mamata - May 20, 2011
- Fourth round of Bengal polls: Spotlight on Singur, Nandigram - May 02, 2011
- Bengal to acquire 400 acres at Singur to return to farmers - Jun 09, 2011
- Singur farmers distribute sweets, throw colour - Sep 28, 2011
- Court scraps Singur land law, Mamata suffers setback (Second Lead) - Jun 22, 2012
- Monthly allowance to Singur's unwilling farmers doubled - Jun 27, 2012
- I believe Singur's farmers will win, says Mamata - Jun 22, 2012