Tata Motors plans new Indigo model, crossover car (Lead)August 25th, 2008 - 9:23 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 25 (IANS) After launching the next generation Indica Saturday, christened the Indica Vista, auto major Tata Motors is now planning to tread the same path with its Indigo, a senior company official said here Monday.The sedan, which is based on the same platform as its hatchback cousin - Indica - was first unveiled in 2002, four years after Indica was launched.
“The next generational change from our stable will be done on the Indigo,” Tata Motors passenger cars division president Rajiv Dube said on the sidelines of the Delhi launch of the next generation Indica.
The company will also launch its crossover vehicle, the Xover, that it had first displayed in Auto Expo 2005 held in New Delhi.
“We will be unveiling the crossover between Safari and Sumo, which we displayed in Auto Expo two years back, and later on probably go forth with the second generation of the Indigo,” Dube said.
He, however, gave no time frame.
Dube also said Fiat Motors, with which the Tata enjoys a strategic partnership, will be launching a Fiat’s sedan, the Linea, in the next few months.
Tata Motors has used a 1.3-litre common rail diesel engine and 1.2-litre multi-point fuel injection (MPFI) petrol engine for the new Indica.
The engines have been developed using Fiat’s technology under a joint venture agreement in India.
Apart from these two versions, the new Indica is also available in an existing turbocharged inter-cool diesel variant.
The new Indica was unveiled Saturday in Mumbai.
Dube said the company has invested Rs.17 billion for developing the new Indica.
- Tata Pixel showcased at Geneva Motor Show - Mar 02, 2011
- Hindustan Motors upgrades Mitsubishi Montero - Apr 16, 2012
- Maruti Suzuki unveils new Swift DZire - Feb 01, 2012
- Tata Motors unveils Safari variant, concept cars - Jan 05, 2012
- New launches to dazzle visitors at Auto Expo - Jan 01, 2012
- Mega-launches, big-ticket announcements at Delhi Auto Expo - Jan 03, 2012
- Fiat launches new versions of Linea and Punto - Jan 04, 2012
- Renault enters compact car segment with Pulse launch - Jan 06, 2012
- Tata Motors launches Indigo e-CS VX compact sedan - Sep 05, 2011
- Tata Motors launch Manza, Prima in South Africa - Oct 07, 2011
- Nissan launches mid-size sedan Sunny - Sep 20, 2011
- Maruti plans to roll out SUVs and MPVs - Feb 03, 2012
- Hyundai to showcase multi-purpose vehicle HND-7 at Auto Expo - Dec 29, 2011
- Fiat to open 80 standalone dealerships by year-end - Sep 19, 2012
- General Motors showcases two new vehicles - Jan 06, 2012