Tap phones of corrupt cops, police chief saysJune 20th, 2008 - 9:24 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, June 20 (IANS) Uttar Pradesh police chief Vikram Singh wants his department to tap the telephones of corrupt policemen and also film cops extorting money on highways. Director General Vikram Singh issued the order Thursday. He instructed police officials to carry digital cameras to film colleagues who force motorists to part with money.
Singh’s official note to the police heads of all districts also asks them to catch corrupt policemen red handed and initiate strict action against them.
To stop extortion on highways, special police teams should be deputed for patrolling from midnight to 6 a.m., he said in his note.
Advising officials to open confidential phone-tapping cells in all districts, he stated: “It will be the cell’s responsibility to tap the telephones of corrupt policemen posted at police stations. Any illegal demand of money should be recorded and used as evidence.”
Inspector generals and deputy inspector generals have also been told not to interfere in the posting of station officers at police stations.
As many as 14 corrupt policemen have been suspended and six have been sacked in the past one week in the state.
- Proceedings against suspended cop dropped - Mar 31, 2011
- Cop, engineers, accountant caught taking bribes - Jul 21, 2012
- Relative held for extortion call - Jun 02, 2012
- Agra police take no-bribe pledge - Aug 28, 2011
- Rape accused Uttar Pradesh cop arrested - Jul 13, 2012
- Rajasthan Police sub-inspector arrested for bribery - Aug 20, 2012
- Book four cops for filing false case: Court - Sep 13, 2011
- 'Jharkhand criminals posing as Maoists to extort money' - Jun 20, 2012
- Haryana farmers torch police station - Jul 22, 2012
- Policemen arrested for extortion - Nov 02, 2011
- Delhi Police told to probe complaint against officials - Aug 22, 2011
- Maoists luring villagers to grow poppy in Bihar - Feb 19, 2012
- Patnaik transferred, Satyapal Singh is new Mumbai top cop (Third Lead) - Aug 23, 2012
- Men in khaki leave UP government red-faced - Jul 14, 2012
- Bihar police official found dead - Jan 30, 2011
Tags: colleagues, confidential phone, corrupt cops, corrupt policemen, deputy inspector, digital cameras, director general, extortion, highways, inspector generals, lucknow, motorists, police chief, police officials, police stations, police teams, special police, strict action, telephones, vikram singh