Tania moves into sole lead in women’s national chessNovember 2nd, 2011 - 9:09 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Nov 2 (IANS) Top seed Tania Sachdev (Air India) moved into sole lead defeating Woman Grandmaster Mary Ann Gomes (AAI) in the fifth round of the Velammal 38th National Women Premier Chess championship here Wednesday.
International Master Tania’s score of 4.5 points placed her half a point above WGM Padmini Rout of Orissa. Padmini took the second spot, scoring over higher seeded WGM Nisha Mohota.
Sharing the third spot with 3.5 points were WGMs Sowmya Swaminathan (PSPB), S. Meenakshi (AI) and Mary Ann Gomes (AAI), Nisha Mohota (PSPB) and Pratyusha Bodda (AP).
Vizag girl Pratyusha continued to make waves as she scored a dynamic miniature win over Woman International Master Bhakti Kulkarni of Goa.
Just out of the Caro Kann opening, Bhakti chose for a bishop for knight swap that allowed Pratyusha occupy the seventh rank with her rook. Subsequent knight foray (17…Ne4) appeared unconvincing as Pratyusha sacrificed an exchange and pushed for a massive kingside attack. Further inaccurate defensive moves from Bhakti hastened her defeat.
Pratyusha, who trains under Rama Raju, coach of Grandmaster Dronavalli Harika, has so far played four WGMs and a WIM, with wins over Sowmya Swaminathan, Swathi Ghate and Bhakti Kulkarni. A consistent show in the latter half of the event should possibly net the Andhra girl a Woman Grandmaster Norm.
Tania had another clinical day in the office, scoring a methodical win over Mary Ann Gomes. The King’s Indian game saw Tania consuming more time, but never relinquishing her grip on the position.
Exerting consistent pressure, Tania forced Mary Ann into further middle game errors. Conceding a pawn in a weakening position, Mary Ann failed to see the knight trap and resigned on the 37th turn.
Other rating effective results included Padmini Rout’s fluent win over Nisha Mohota and Sowmya Swaminathan’s defeat of Tamil Nadu girl Harini and Meenakshi’s industrious win over J. Saranya.
Results (Round 5): Tania Sachdev (AI) 4.5 bt Mary Ann Gomes (AAI) 3.5, Nisha Mohota (PSPB) 3.5 lost to Padmini Rout (Ori) 4, Sowmya Swaminathan (PSPB) bt S Harini (TN) 3, J Saranya (TN) 2.5 lost to S Meenakshi (AI) 3.5, Pratyusha Bodda (AP) 3.5 bt Bhakti Kulkarni (Goa) 2.5, Eesha Karavade (Mah) 2.5 drew Sai Meera (IB) 3, Swathi Ghate (LIC) 3 bt R Bharathi (TN) 2, Pon N Krithika (AICF) 2 lost to A G Nimmy (Ker) 3, Aarthie Ramaswamy (AI) 2.5 drew Cholleti Sahajasri (AP) 2.5, Chandika Divyasree (AP) 3 bt P Bala Kannamma (TN) 2, Kiran Manisha Mohanty (Ori) 2.5 bt Swati Mohota (WB) 1.5, Shweta Gole (Mah) 2.5 bt A Akshaya (TN) 1.5, M Mahalakshmi (TN) 2 bt P V Nandhidhaa (TN) 1, P Michelle Catherina (TN) 1.5 bt Supriya Joshi (Mah) 0.5, Madhurima Shekhar (Del) 0.5 Bye.
- Padmini shocks Tania to take lead in women's national chess - Nov 03, 2011
- Mary Ann pockets title in National Chess - Nov 09, 2011
- Mary Ann takes lead in national chess - Nov 07, 2011
- Tania wins in 38 moves in National Premier chess - Nov 01, 2011
- Padmini, Tania in lead at National Chess - Nov 05, 2011
- Four share lead in National Premier chess - Oct 30, 2011
- Mary Ann retains lead with a draw in National chess - Nov 08, 2011
- Mehta eases into semis of National Snooker Championship - Feb 03, 2012
- Sethi, Advani, Alok advance in senior national billiards - Jul 28, 2011
- Easy win for Alok Kumar in national snooker - Aug 05, 2011
- Defending champion Tania held by Bhakti in national chess - Dec 23, 2008
- Amrutha holds Soumya in Parsvnath National Women Chess - Dec 20, 2008
- Chopra joins centurions list in National Snooker - Feb 01, 2012
- Kruttika Nadig is women's national chess champion - Dec 28, 2008
- Mehta sparkles with 134 break at National snooker - Jan 31, 2012
Tags: air india, bhakti, chess championship, consistent pressure, harini, indian game, kingside, knight swap, meenakshi, middle game, national chess, nisha, position mary, pratyusha, pspb, rama raju, sachdev, saranya, velammal, wgms