Tamil Tigers’ aircraft attacks Sri Lankan naval baseAugust 27th, 2008 - 12:24 am ICT by IANS
Colombo, Aug 26 (IANS) A light aircraft of the Tamil Tiger rebels carried out an air raid Tuesday night and dropped at least two bombs targeting a key naval base in Sri Lanka’s eastern port city of Trincomalee, defence sources here said.”LTTE terrorist have carried out an abortive air raid attempt at the naval base of Trincomalee a short while ago. According to the available information, the terror aircraft have dropped two improvised bombs and fled the area,” the defence ministry said in a report around 10 p.m. Tuesday.
It has not divulged any other detail about the night air raid.
People in the area heard at least two huge blasts Tuesday night followed by firing by security force personnel from various points.
This is the first air attack by the LTTE air wing in 16 months, amid fierce fighting in the northern Wanni region between the advancing government troops and the rebels.
- Tamil Tigers make air strike at naval base in Sri Lanka (Lead) - Aug 27, 2008
- LTTE aircraft attack Lankan naval base, four sailors injured - Aug 27, 2008
- 10 hurt in LTTE air attack on key naval base in Trincomalee - Aug 27, 2008
- LTTE attacks air force base, rebel aircraft destroyed - Sep 09, 2008
- LTTE aircraft destroyed during raid on Sri Lankan air base (Second Lead) - Sep 09, 2008
- Sri Lanka destroys LTTE plane after Tiger raid on air base (Lead) - Sep 09, 2008
- LTTE planes bomb Colombo, shot down (Roundup) - Feb 21, 2009
- LTTE air strikes cannot change military balance: Sri Lanka - Aug 28, 2008
- LTTE attack on key military base thwarted: Sri Lanka (Third Lead) - Sep 09, 2008
- LTTE aircraft attack Sri Lankan capital (Lead) - Oct 29, 2008
- LTTE aircraft attack Colombo, Mannar - Oct 29, 2008
- Rebel bombing of Sri Lanka naval base kills four sailors (Lead) - Aug 27, 2008
- Gunbattle on as terrorists take hostages at Pakistan naval facility - May 23, 2011
- Sri Lankan jets bomb suspected female suicide Tiger base - Oct 30, 2008
- LTTE suffers heavy losses, troops encircle last rebel enclave - Feb 22, 2009