Tamil Nadu’s new civic body heads sworn inOctober 25th, 2011 - 9:31 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Oct 25 (IANS) The 10 newly-elected mayors in Tamil Nadu, all from the ruling AIADMK, and other heads of local bodies were sworn in Tuesday across the state.
In the state capital Chennai, Saidai Duraisamy was sworn in as Mayor at the Ripon Buildings in the presence of AIADMK general secretary and Chief Minister J. Jayalalithaa and other ministers, Members of Legislative Assembly and other party leaders.
He had defeated DMK’s outgoing Mayor M. Subramanian by a margin of over 500,000 votes.
The ten corporations bagged by AIADMK are: Chennai, Coimbatore, Erode, Madurai, Salem, Tuticorin, Tirunelveli, Tiruppur, Tiruchirapalli and Vellore.
Heads of municipalities, town and village panchayats also assumed office across the state.
The ruling AIADMK swept the civic polls in the state held Oct 17 and 19, bagging all the ten corporations and majority of other civic bodies.
- AIADMK sweeps Tamil Nadu civic polls - Oct 22, 2011
- DMDK fields its own mayoral candidates - Sep 23, 2011
- Stalin wins from Kolathur - May 14, 2011
- Karunanidhi wins, son Stalin trails - May 13, 2011
- Tamil Nadu's three new SEZs eye Rs.3,400 crore investments - Feb 19, 2011
- Tamil Nadu steps up security aead of Ayodhya verdict - Sep 29, 2010
- Stalin's election challenged in court - Jun 27, 2011
- Counting at Stalin's constituency starts again - May 13, 2011
- Hundreds held during protest against PM (Lead) - Dec 26, 2011
- Karunanidhi flays poll panel - Mar 22, 2011
- Karunanidhi attacks poll panel - Mar 26, 2011
- Tamil Nadu cracks down on polluting dyeing factories - Apr 24, 2011
- Poll panel orders transfer of Tamil Nadu officials - Mar 20, 2011
- DMK leader held on land grab charge - Aug 31, 2011
- New Mayor for east Delhi civic agency - May 01, 2012