Tamil Nadu set to release NaliniSeptember 25th, 2008 - 9:22 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Sep 25 (IANS) The Tamil Nadu government is set to expedite the premature release of Nandini Murugan, who was sentenced to death for her role in the assassination of former prime minister Rajiv Gandhi, Chief Minister M Karunanidhi indicated Thursday. “The advisory board of Vellore prison will asked to reconsider its recommendations on the application for premature release by Nalini which will be considered on merits to arrive at a decision according to our laws,” Karunanidhi wrote in the ruling Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam newspaper Murasoli.
Legal sources told IANS on conditions of anonymity that Karunanidhi’s statement simply meant that the government would ask the newly constituted advisory panel to recommend the release and accede to her request.
The Madras High Court struck down the government order rejecting Nalini’s plea for premature release Wednesday saying the improperly constituted advisory panel’s recommendations were wrong.
Nalini Murugan, alias Sriharan, who had accompanied the suicide bomber Dhanu to the election rally in Sriperumbudur where Gandhi was killed in May 1991, had sought her release saying she had spent more than the mandatory maximum 14 years in jail.
Nalini, her husband and former Tamil Tiger guerrilla Murugan and two others were sentenced to death for their role in the killing of Gandhi.
The Madras High Court had upheld Nalini’s plea for clemency on a technicality and on the basis of an earlier ruling of the Supreme Court, which said that both the parents of a child should not be put to death. Her death penalty was later commuted to life sentence.
Rajiv Gandhi’s daughter Priyanka met Nalini in Vellore jail and said she wanted to understand for herself what made Nalini and her colleagues act in the way they did and said she wanted to “make peace” with the past.
Nalini had delivered a girl Megara - presently studying in Britain - in prison in 1992.
- Rajiv killer Nalini's 'A' class prison facilities restored - Mar 15, 2012
- Rajiv Gandhi killing convict couple meet in Vellore jail - Sep 10, 2011
- Gandhi accused Nalini breaks down - Sep 07, 2011
- Nalini plans to appeal in apex court against decision - Mar 30, 2010
- Madars HC adjourns Nalini release case hearing - Feb 10, 2010
- Madras High Court dismisses Nalini's plea for release - Apr 06, 2010
- Rajiv Gandhi's assassin Nalini may be set free after 19 years - Jan 21, 2010
- Nalini shifted from Vellore to Chennai prison - Jun 28, 2010
- Mobile phone seized from Nalini's cell - Apr 20, 2010
- Tamil Nadu rejects Nalini's plea for release (Second Lead) - Mar 29, 2010
- Rajiv's assassin Nalini moves court for early release - Apr 12, 2010
- Court pleas, threats, protests to save Rajiv's killers (Lead) - Aug 29, 2011
- Tamil Nadu rejects Nalini's plea for release (Lead) - Mar 29, 2010
- Release Rajiv Gandhi killers, appeals Karunanidhi - Oct 06, 2011
- Action mulled against Nalini - Apr 23, 2010