Tamil Nadu seeks to control deemed universitiesAugust 16th, 2008 - 11:25 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 16 (IANS) The Tamil Nadu government has sought additional powers from the human resource development (HRD) ministry to enable it exercise control over deemed universities in the state, a senior government official said Saturday. Chief Minister M. Karunanidhi, in a letter sent to the HRD ministry this week, said the state needed powers to exercise control over these universities and supervision of admissions and fixing fee structure.
Earlier this month, the ministry granted deemed university status to the private Chettinad Medical College without the recommendation of the Tamil Nadu government.
Such self-financing professional colleges, after securing the deemed university status, could take students and fix the fee structure.
Moreover, these institutions were now not required to surrender seats to the government under the new quota guidelines, said the official, who asked not to be quoted.
This has deprived the state of 83 seats under the government quota, he added.
Till now, private players needed to take mandatory clearance from the state’s health department for establishing self-financing medical colleges. Only after completing the process would the Medical Council of India gave them permission to run medical colleges.
- Walkout in Kerala assembly over pact with colleges - Jul 22, 2010
- Chandy seeks PM's help for educational loans - Jul 20, 2012
- Tamil Nadu welcomes scrapping of deemed varsities - Jan 24, 2010
- Engineering studies to cost more in Karnataka - May 02, 2011
- Apex court warns private medical colleges against lapses - Jun 30, 2011
- Apex court warns private medical colleges against lapses (Lead) - Jun 30, 2011
- Blacklisted universities were family controlled: Ministry - Feb 24, 2010
- Sibal cracks whip on two universities, halts 'deemed status' for others (Lead) - Jun 04, 2009
- SC permits online counselling for undergraduate medical students (Lead) - Jun 07, 2012
- Chandigarh seeks to attract more student volunteers - Jun 23, 2010
- Tamil Nadu to await apex court verdict over deemed varsities - Jan 19, 2010
- New norms for technical institutes irk managements - Jan 14, 2011
- Parents, students fret over college admissions in Chennai - Jun 07, 2009
- Court asks MCI to grant additional seats in Telangana colleges - Jul 13, 2012
- Increase Hajj pilgrimage quota: Jayalalithaa - Jul 14, 2012