Tamil Nadu school girl death: Motor vehicle inspector arrestedJuly 27th, 2012 - 10:12 am ICT by IANS
Chennai, July 27 (IANS) Tamil Nadu police have arrested a motor vehicle inspector for issuing fitness certificate for a defective school bus that resulted in the death of a six-year-old girl here a day ago.
In a statement issued late Thursday, the government said the police have arrested motor vehicle inspector, P. Rajasekaran, posted at Tambaram office in the city suburb for serious lapse in issuing fitness certificate without properly inspecting the vehicle.
The government has also ordered a detailed enquiry by Deputy Transport Commissioner P. Vijayaraj.
Rajasekaran is also suspended from his service.
S. Shruti, who was returning home from her school in Tambaram city suburbs, was seated on the sixth row behind the driver in the school bus.
When she got up to get down, she slipped down to the road through a massive hole under her seat and was crushed to death by the same bus.
The cardboard which was used to cover the hole under her seat gave in under her weight as she stood up, and resulted in her death.
Unaware of the incident, driver Seeman continued to drive while the passersby along the road were horrified to witness the girl being crushed to death.
The driver was thrashed by the people as he refused to believe that such an accident had occurred. The mob set the bus on fire.
The authorities of Zion Matriculation School denied any responsibility and blamed the bus contractor for the vehicle’s condition.
The vehicle was given a fitness certificate by the transport department only recently.
Mourning the death of Shruti, people wearing black badges took out a procession Thursday from the accident spot to her house and paid their homage by placing wreaths there.
The Madras High Court Thursday sought an explanation from the state transport department on how a bus, from which a minor girl slipped and was run over, was given a fitness certificate.
With the arrest of Rajasekaran, the total number of people taken to custody is five. The police had earlier arrested a senior school official N.Vijayan, bus owner Yogeswaran, driver Seeman and cleaner Shanmugham.
- Court demands criminal action in school girl's death case (Lead) - Jul 27, 2012
- Court queries school girl's death in Tamil Nadu (Lead) - Jul 26, 2012
- Jayalalithaa orders action against school bus operators - Jul 26, 2012
- Toddler run over by school bus - Feb 13, 2012
- Week after leg crushed by bus, girl dies - Jul 24, 2012
- Student's death: Bus driver, conductor arrested - Jun 28, 2011
- Good Samaritan saves life, gets killed himself - Jan 02, 2012
- Bus mows down woman - Dec 21, 2011
- Engineering student killed in road accident - Mar 09, 2011
- Nine die as bus driver goes berserk in busy Pune (Roundup) - Jan 25, 2012
- Police post torched during protest - Nov 02, 2011
- Two-year-old crushed under school bus - Sep 25, 2010
- Man crushed to death between two buses - May 22, 2012
- Child left alone in school bus, dies - Aug 05, 2011
- Bus mows down guard - Dec 29, 2011
Tags: bus contractor, cardboard, city suburb, city suburbs, homage, madras high court, matriculation, motor vehicle, old girl, passersby, procession, returning home, school bus, school girl, shruti, transport commissioner, transport department, vehicle inspector, wreaths, zion