Tamil Nadu power board stressing on wind energyMay 17th, 2008 - 1:14 pm ICT by admin
Chennai, May 17 (IANS) Tamil Nadu is doing well on the wind power front. The state’s power board is beefing up its wind mill power infrastructure in order to harvest the full potential and plans to sell surplus power to other states at a handsome profit. Tamil Nadu Electricity Board (TNEB) will be spending around Rs.2 billion of the total Rs.10 billion budget to strengthen the transmission and distribution (R&D) network in the state this year.
A senior official of the board told IANS on condition of anonymity, “Last year we faced some problems in the windmill power. This will be corrected.”
This apart, the board has got sanction to build a 400kv line from Pugalur near Tiruchirapalli to Sunguvarchattram to evacuate wind power at an outlay of Rs.7 billion, he added.
The total wind power generated in the state was 1,800 MW, the highest ever.
The windmills are beginning to generate sufficient power, and the board is planning to sell some surplus to other states at handsome rates, he said.
With wind power easing the power situation in the state, TNEB has scrapped the industrial holiday.
Though the measure eased the pressure on the board to some extent it had slightly negative effect on its revenues as the industrial units resorted to use of gensets.
This fiscal, TNEB will set up 90 sub stations and lay 1,500 km extra high tension cable as against 54 substations and 1,500 km in FY07.
In Chennai, TNEB will be building two 230/33 kv gas insulated sub stations which will take two years to complete.
In respect of transmission of distribution loss, TNEB’s 18 percent is one of the lowest in the country.
The board plans to reduce it to 15 percent by the end of the XIth Plan (2007-12) period.
However, that would involve heavy outlay as reductions from the current level will be at a slow rate.
- Tamil Nadu to supply industries with wind power - Aug 08, 2011
- Tamil Nadu to annul Udangudi power joint venture soon - Jun 18, 2012
- Neyveli Lignite plans to enter power transmission sector - May 27, 2011
- Tamil Nadu power units to raise Rs.11,000 crore - Mar 12, 2012
- Power situation to improve from June: Jayalalithaa - Feb 04, 2012
- Coastal Energen looking to buy out Al Rostamani stakes - Jan 19, 2012
- Windmill makers in Tamil Nadu accused of opaque pricing - Jun 15, 2012
- Tamil Nadu hopes to save Rs.900 crore in Udangudi project - Feb 29, 2012
- Dikshit inaugurates 400 KV power sub-station in North West Delhi - Sep 30, 2010
- Allot power, don't be callous, Jayalalithaa tells PM - Mar 09, 2012
- BHEL still keen on Udangudi power project - Apr 08, 2012
- No privatisation of power utilities in Tamil Nadu - Dec 14, 2009
- 'Tamil Nadu power corp wrong on wind power banking loss' - Jun 22, 2012
- PM should seek Dayanidhi's resignation: Jayalalithaa - Jun 01, 2011
- TVS Logistics to assemble gensets for Ashok Leyland - Aug 22, 2011