Tamil Nadu police arrest two, claim serial murders solved (Lead)August 8th, 2008 - 12:34 am ICT by IANS
Chennai, Aug 7 (IANS) The Tamil Nadu police Thursday arrested two people and with that claimed to have solved the mystery behind 16 murders in the past 40 days in and around the city. “It is not the handiwork of a psychopath after all. The two killers, Subramani and Nagarajan, seem to be perfectly sane. Friends in the media invented the ‘psychopath’ theory,” Chennai Police Commissioner R. Sekar told IANS.
The suspects - V. Subramani alias Subbu, 25, and Nagarajan alias Nagu, 22 - have admitted to committing at least two murders and indicated involvement of at least eight accomplices in seven other crimes, Sekar said.
Though the arrested men have not admitted to all the murders, police sources said they were hopeful of solving the rest of the murders by following leads provided by them.
“The leads obtained by questioning the two accused are bound to result in more arrests, ridding the city and its suburbs of its nocturnal fear,” Sekar added.
The two men admitted to being liquor and marijuana addicts. Their modus operandi was to kick their sleeping victims on the neck, robbing them and eventually killing them. The accused carried petrol containers to deface their victims to prevent identification, a police press statement said.
Speaking to IANS, investigating officer inspector N.P. Rajendran said the killers committed their murders to satisfy their addiction needs.
“The possibility of getting easy money for their daily quota of liquor and marijuana drove them to robbery and murders,” Rajendran added.
Most of the murders took place in the southwest suburbs here and some in the eastern suburbs, neighbouring district of Cuddalore and one woman was found dead in Kumbhakonam, south of here.
- Tamil Nadu serial murders solved: police - Aug 07, 2008
- Mother gets son killed to keep affair under wraps - Sep 01, 2011
- Radhika's killer caught, in four days police custody (Night Lead) - Mar 12, 2011
- Murder suspect admits to two more killings - Mar 27, 2009
- Woman held for making hoax bomb call - Sep 03, 2011
- Two shot dead in Gurgaon - Jul 12, 2012
- Nine nabbed for Bangalore Congress corporator's murder - Oct 10, 2011
- Teenager kills, burns parents in Haryana - May 14, 2012
- Inside the minds of psychopaths - Oct 16, 2011
- Eighth suspect nabbed in journalist J. Dey's murder - Jul 03, 2011
- Main accused in Radhika murder case arrested - Mar 12, 2011
- Prime accused in Chandrasekharan murder case held - Jun 07, 2012
- Retired army officer held for Chennai boy's killing - Jul 10, 2011
- Radhika killer arrested in Mumbai - Mar 12, 2011
- 35 law-breakers held in Pakistan - Feb 14, 2012