Tamil Nadu orders reopening of closed collegesFebruary 5th, 2009 - 5:57 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Feb 5 (IANS) The Tamil Nadu government Thursday ordered the reopening from Feb 9 of most colleges that were closed down to prevent the spread of student protests over Sri Lanka’s war.”The presently closed medical, veterinary, engineering and agricultural colleges will reopen from Feb 9 (Monday),” Chief Secretary K.S. Sripathy said in a statement.
“The reopening dates of other educational institutions will be intimated later,” the statement added.
All colleges and their hostels in Tamil Nadu and Puducherry were closed Monday following protests in both places in support of a ceasefire in Sri Lanka.
- Sri Lanka issues travel warning for southern India - Sep 04, 2012
- Travel advisory: India assures safety to visiting Sri Lankans (Lead) - Sep 04, 2012
- Ex-Tamil Nadu chief secretary is state's new RTI chief - Sep 01, 2010
- Malathi is new chief secretary of Tamil Nadu - Aug 31, 2010
- Do not train Sri Lankans: Jayalalithaa, Karunanidhi (Lead) - Jul 16, 2012
- Maha Bodhi attack: Sri Lanka asks India for security of monks - Jan 25, 2011
- Send back Sri Lankan defence personnel: Jayalalithaa - Jul 16, 2012
- Jayalalithaa asks PM to respect Tamil sentiments - Aug 28, 2012
- Karunanidhi takes on Delhi over Sri Lanka - Aug 28, 2012
- 175 Sri Lankan tourists to return following protests (Lead) - Sep 04, 2012
- Annamalai University to resume classes Thursday - Mar 08, 2010
- Karunanidhi raises Sri Lankan Tamils' rehabilitation issue with Sonia Gandhi - Oct 09, 2010
- India non-committal on Sri Lanka 'war crimes' (Roundup) - Mar 14, 2012
- Curtail visits by Sri Lankan dignitaries: Jayalalithaa - Mar 07, 2012
- Tamil Nadu gears up for cyclone Thane (Lead) - Dec 29, 2011