Tamil Nadu leaders seek Indian intervention in Sri LankaSeptember 23rd, 2008 - 9:14 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Sep 23 (IANS) Tamil Nadu political leaders K. Veeramani and Thol Thirumavalavan courted arrest along with over 300 supporters here Tuesday to demand India’s intervention in Sri Lanka.”The (central government) should immediately intervene in the Tamils’ issue in Sri Lanka and desist from assisting the Sinhala regime in Colombo in its military misadventure,” Dravida Kazhagam leader Veeramani told reporters before being arrested.
“It is a matter of national shame that some defence personnel from our (country) were found assisting Sri Lanka’s military establishment a few days’ ago,” added Thirumavalavan, who heads the Viduthalai Chiruthaigal Katchi.
His reference was to the injuries two Indian radar technicians suffered when the LTTE executed a pre-dawn land and air attack on a Sri Lankan military base in the island’s north this month.
The two led a protest march from the Dravida Kazhagam headquarters to the main rail terminal in Chennai in an attempt to block traffic but were arrested enroute, police sources said.
All those arrested were later released, official sources added.
Both the outfits claim to provide “moral support” to the banned Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE). The ethnic conflict in Sri Lanka has left over 75,000 people dead since 1983.
- All-party delegation to meet visiting Sri Lankan President Rajapaksa - Jun 07, 2010
- VCK activists protest against killings of fishermen by Lankan Navy - Jul 12, 2010
- Tamil Nadu delegation leaves for Sri Lanka - Oct 10, 2009
- Tamil Nadu MPs to leave for Sri Lanka today - Oct 10, 2009
- Indian MP refused entry into Sri Lanka - Feb 22, 2011
- Sonia Gandhi to address election rally in Puducherry - Apr 05, 2011
- Sonia Gandhi to visit poll-bound Tamil Nadu, Puducherry - Apr 04, 2011
- Tamil Nadu's VCK asks Sonia Gandhi to press for Lanka cease-fire - Apr 08, 2009
- Tamil Nadu's regional party demands lifting of ban on LTTE - Jul 29, 2009
- Filing of nomination for TN, Puducherry and Kerala to end today - Mar 26, 2011
- Karunanidhi to raise Sri Lankan Tamil issue with PM, Sonia Gandhi again - Jan 12, 2009
- Vaiko taken into preventive custody ahead of Rajapaksa visit - Jun 08, 2010
- Dalit Panthers block trains in Chennai protesting against killings in Sri Lanka - Oct 23, 2008
- Regional Tamil party stages protest against Lankan Government in Chennai - Oct 22, 2009
- Tamil activists demand speedy resettlement of refugees in Sri Lanka - Dec 14, 2009