Tamil Nadu lawyers to boycott courts MondaySeptember 6th, 2008 - 10:48 pm ICT by IANS
Salem (Tamil Nadu), Sep 6 (IANS) Lawyers in Tamil Nadu will boycott courts Monday to protest strict rules for bail bonds, their association decided here Saturday.The lawyers are protesting “stifling rules” prescribed by the Madurai bench of the Madras High Court governing bail bonds.
About 60,000 members of the Federation of Advocates’ Associations of Tamil Nadu and Puducherry will boycott courts Monday, its president M. Paramasivam told reporters.
The boycott will hit at least 15,000 hearings in the state and the neighbouring union territory.
“The bench has announced a strange set of rules for provision of bail bonds in criminal cases that will place all types of litigants and lawyers alike into hardship. To protest against this, we will observe a day’s boycott of the courts Monday initially. If the courts do not see reason, other forms of protests will be announced,” Paramasivam added.
Judicial sources, however, denied these charges.
“On any given day, dozens of suspects are let off on bail and a sizeable percentage amongst them never attend courts again because they jump bail. And such suspects include arms smugglers and drug peddlers,” a court official said on phone from the capital Chennai - 300 km away to the northeast.
- DMK leader surrenders in land grab cases - Jul 25, 2011
- Tamil Nadu lawyers protest demanding hike in welfare fund - Dec 30, 2009
- Court allows Tamil Nadu's bull taming sport with riders (Lead) - Jan 12, 2012
- Coast Guard, navy should protect fishermen, says court - Oct 14, 2011
- Kerala scheming to convert Tamil Nadu into a desert: Karunanidhi - Dec 12, 2011
- Chidambaram in dock for poll result, opposition demands resignation (Lead) - Jun 07, 2012
- Puducherry minister faces axe after exam impersonation charges - Nov 12, 2011
- Chief justice, senior lawyer depose before Srikrishna Commission - Mar 01, 2009
- Chidambaram hit by court ruling, opposition wants him out (Second Lead) - Jun 07, 2012
- CPI leader Pandian granted bail - May 20, 2009
- Celebrations in Tamil Nadu as Rajiv killers' hanging stayed - Aug 30, 2011
- Chidambaram need not resign, says Karunanidhi - Jun 09, 2012
- Special session of Tamil Nadu assembly on Mullaperiyar issue - Dec 11, 2011
- Tainted godman Nityananda freed on bail (Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- Karnataka asks PM to rescind Cauvery water decision - Sep 21, 2012