Tamil Nadu lawyers clash with policeSeptember 8th, 2008 - 8:57 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Sep 8 (IANS) Tension gripped the vicinity of the Madras High Court Monday after a group of lawyers attacked a police station within the court precincts, the police said.Documents pertaining to over a dozen cases were destroyed in the attack, an official claimed.
A spokesman representing a forum of the lawyers told reporters that the action was a manifestation of his colleagues’ righteous indignation at the police filing a charge sheet against some advocates without following proper procedure.
Following the intervention of top police officials, the agitated lawyers dispersed, officials added.
Meanwhile, lawyers who had stayed off the one-day token state-wide stir by advocates have decided to strike work Tuesday, to protest the fresh rules by the Madurai Bench of the Madras High Court for issue of bail bonds to suspects in various cases.
According to the new rules, suspects’ bonds should be found satisfactory by police officials investigating the cases.
- Lawyers' protest paralyses Delhi courts - Apr 07, 2012
- Warring media, lawyers told to cool down - Mar 05, 2012
- Tamil to be Supreme Court language, hopes Karunanidhi - Apr 25, 2010
- Lawyers assault media persons, judicial probe ordered (Second Lead) - Mar 02, 2012
- Lawyers show black flags to Karunanidhi - Apr 25, 2010
- Lawyers assault media persons, students in Bangalore (Lead) - Mar 02, 2012
- Four lawyers arrested for attack on media - Mar 03, 2012
- Karnataka lawyers to boycott courts Monday - Mar 04, 2012
- Four lawyers held for attack on Bangalore journalists (Lead) - Mar 04, 2012
- Lawyers seek help for Madras High Court judge - Nov 02, 2011
- Jundal's questioning extended till Sep 10 - Sep 03, 2012
- Uttar Pradesh clash: 35 officials arrested - Sep 04, 2011
- Ex-J&K; IGP denies filing CCTV footage in NC worker's death - Jun 21, 2012
- Violence rising against women for using right to choose partner - Jul 20, 2012
- Plea on apex court lawyers dismissed (Lead) - Feb 13, 2012